Giving a bottle of wine is a nice gesture as a housewarming present, to thank someone for letting you spend the weekend at their house or as a hostess gift, not to mention for all the holidays you might happen to be shopping for.
But the gift itself can disappear pretty quickly if all you give is a bottle. Why not whip up a few of these wine bottle cozies to have on hand as a wrap for a wine (or any bottle of similar shape) gift?
They're also great for your collection to help when transporting bottles of wine, so they don't hit together roughly.
19 stitches and 29 rows per 4 inches (4.75 stitches and 7.25 rows per inch) in Stockinette Stitch in the round. Gauge doesn't have to be perfect but should be pretty close.
Finished size is 8 inches around unstretched and 10 inches tall, not counting base. It is designed to fit a standard wine bottle.
- Cast on 9 stitches. Divide onto 3 needles and join in round.
- Knit 1 round.
- Knit in the front and back of each stitch in the next round. 18 stitches.
- Knit 3 rounds.
- Knit in the front and back of each stitch. 36 stitches.
- Knit 6 rounds.
- Purl 1 round. This forms the bag's base.
- Knit for 8.5 inches.
- Next round, *knit 1, yarn over, knit 2 together. Repeat form * around.
- Knit at least 1 more inch and up to 3 inches to cover the neck of the wine bottle (project shown is knit for 2 inches above eyelet round.
- Bind off loosely. Cut yarn and weave in ends, making sure you close up any hole remaining in the base of the bag.