01 of 03
Adding Glitter to a Wine Bottle for a Home Accent
Wine bottles come in all shapes, sizes, and colors and are sometimes just too pretty to throw away. Instead of letting them collect dust or tossing them in the recycling bin, put them to use. With a few simple supplies, you can transform them into beautiful, glittery bottles to decorate your home with for every season.
What do you need? Not much at all.
- Wine bottle
- Paint (whatever you have on hand - spray or acrylic is fine)
- craft glue (such as Mod Podge)
- cardboard box or newspaper
Before you begin creating your glittery wine bottles, take off any labels. You can do this with a blow dryer, by soaking the bottle in warm water for a few hours and using the rough side of a sponge or by using a store-bought sticky residue remover.
After your labels are removed, clean the surface of the wine bottle with simple soap and water and make sure it is completely dry before starting the glittering process.Continue to 2 of 3 below.
02 of 03
Painting the Wine Bottle
If you like the original color of your wine bottle, don't worry about painting it (skip to the next step). If you want to create glittery bottles for a particular season or holiday, such as Christmas or Halloween, paint them a specific color to represent the occasion.
Depending on what you have on hand, you can paint the wine bottle(s) with spray paint or brush on any kind of craft paint. Whichever paint method you choose, remember to protect your work area so you don't damage any furniture or other surfaces.
You can use a cardboard box when spray painting bottles and other small objects. It's easier to maintain the paint overspray and help prevent any dirt, dust or animal hair (if you have pets) from sticking to the wet paint. If you don't have a cardboard box, or if you're painting your bottles with a brush, simply lay your bottle(s) on some newspaper or other drop-cloth to protect your workspace.
Continue to 3 of 3 below.
- Apply a thin layer of paint to the outside of the bottle. Let dry for an hour or so.
- Check the bottle. If it doesn't look like the whole bottle is covered (i.e., you can still see the original color of the glass), apply another thin coat of paint. Keep applying thin layers of paint until the bottle is completely covered.
- Let the bottle(s) dry overnight.
03 of 03
Applying Glitter to the Wine Bottle
After the paint is completely dry, start the process of applying glitter. You can simply apply the glitter on the entire bottle or create specific designs. (For example, you can spell out a word on the bottle. For this type of design, you will need adhesive stickers or letters. If you don't have any on hand, you can make your own).
- Apply a thin coat of craft glue, such as Mod Podge, to the outside of the bottle.
- Immediately apply the glitter. One of the best ways to do this is to shake it onto the bottle. You can do this by either having a shake bottle or emptying the glitter onto a piece of paper, folding the paper so the glitter trickles down to the edge and then shake it evenly onto the surface of the bottle.
- Keep applying glitter until you reach your desired glitter effect. If the glue dries before you have a chance to add all of your glitter, you can apply glue to small areas with a small craft paint brush and shake glitter onto the glued area.
- Let dry completely for at least 24 hours.
Place your glittery bottles in your home. You can also decorate them with your choice of flowers, branches or other festive embellishments.