A unique construction makes these baby booties visually interesting. Strategic folds and seams create a wearable piece from easy geometric shapes. The style of this design is easily tailored for both girls and boys. Utilize different color combinations and buttons to make your pair as unique as your little one is.
- Main Color: Blue Moon Fiber Arts, Socks That Rock, Lightweight [100% superwash merino; 4.5 ounces/127 grams; 360 yards/329 meters] Color: “Winter Solstice.”
- Coordinating Color: Blue Moon Fiber Arts, Socks That Rock, Lightweight [100% superwash merino; 4.5 ounces/127 grams; 360 yards/329 meters] Color: “Lettuce Knit.”
If you wish to make substitutions, look for a fingering weight yarn with at least 50% wool or acrylic content to help finished piece retain its shape. A merino wool will be soft enough for a baby to wear and will help keep their little toes toasty warm.
11 sc and 12 rows = 2 square inches using size E/3.5mm hook
2 buttons approximately 1.1 cm/.45” diameter
3 (4) inch foot length.
To Fit Sizes
Newborn to 6 months (6 to 12 months) -- Shown in size newborn to 6 months.
Pattern is written for smallest size with changes for larger size in parenthesis. If only one number appears it applies to both sizes.
- Sole of Foot Piece:
- Row 1: With mc, ch 9 (11), sc in second ch from hook, 1 sc in next 7 (9) sts — 8 (10) sc sts.
- *Repeat this row until piece measures 1.25 (1.5) inches from beginning.
- Toe Section:
- Increases: ch 1, 2 sc in first sc, sc in each st across until last st, 2 sc in last st — 2 sts have been increased.
- *Repeat this row until you have 22 (26) sc sts total.
- Decreases: ch 1, sc2tog, sc in each st to last 2 sts, sc2tog — 2 sts have been decreased.
- *Repeat this row a total of 9 (11) times — 4 sts remain.
- Next Row: ch 1, sc2tog twice -- 2 sts remain.
- Last Row: Ch 1, sc2tog — 1 st remains.
- Your piece should now have an arrow-like shape. Sc around entire circumference working approximately 1 sc in the side edge of every row. Make sure your sts are laying flat. As long as there is no bunching or pulling exact spacing of edging sc sts is not important.
- Cut yarn and fasten off.
- Sides and Heel Piece:
- Row 1: With mc, ch 6 (8), sc in second ch from hook, 1 sc in each ch across — 5 (7) sts.
- *Repeat this row until piece measures 4 (4.75) inches from beginning.
- Arrange work in your hands so your hook and working loop are at the top left corner. In the following round you will begin by working down the long edge to the left of your working loop.
- Edging Round: Ch 1, work 1 sc in the side edge of every row around entire circumference of piece. When you have completed the rnd, ch 5, sl st into beginning ch.
- Cut yarn and fasten off.
- Thread tapestry needle with cc yarn. Arrange the sole of booties with wrong side of work facing up. Fold three points of arrow in toward the middle so they meet. Sew points together through sc edge sts.
- With cc, sew long edge of Side and Heel Piece to long edge of Sole of Foot Piece through the sc edge sts. (Make sure the short edge with button loop is on opposite sides for each bootie.)
- Still using cc, whipstitch around top edges of bootie.
- Sew button to edge corresponding with button loop.
For additional finishing instructions of these booties refer to the step by step photo tutorial.