Pattern recognition games like word searches are a good way for kids to improve their cognitive skills. The free word search games found here feature pilgrims, turkeys, harvest time and other themes related to the Thanksgiving Day celebration.
Printable Word Search Games
Several of these free word search puzzles are in Adobe PDF format. If you need to download and install the free Adobe Acrobat reader, click here.
- Thanksgiving Word Search Puzzle - This word game of medium difficulty features 15 words hidden in a medium-sized grid. Solution provided.
- Thanksgiving Feast Word Search - Here, you'll find a puzzle featuring 16 words related to the traditional Thanksgiving day dinner. Solution provided.
- Turkey Word Search - You can test your knowledge of turkey trivia with this 18-word game of medium difficulty.
- American Thanksgiving Word Search - 20 words, mostly having to do with the Thanksgiving day feast, are hidden in a medium-sized grid.
- Canadian Thanksgiving Word Search - This puzzle is very similar to the previous one except for the date of the celebration.
- American Thanksgiving Word Search - This puzzle of medium difficulty features 17 words related to the first Thanksgiving.
- Canadian Thanksgiving Word Search - 22 words that view the holiday from a Canadian perspective are featured here.
- Pumpkin Word Search - Oh my gourd! Here's a 20-word word search game to test your squash savvy.
- LDS Thanksgiving Word Search Puzzle - 30 themed words are hidden in a medium-sized grid.
- Thanksgiving Challenge Word Search - In this word puzzle, you'll need to find 40 Thanksgiving words in a large jumble of letters. Solution provided.
- Thanksgiving Word Searches - Here, you'll find an easy, 6-word puzzle as well as a more challenging 18-word game. These puzzles are available in both B & W and in color.
Printable Crossword Puzzles
Solving crossword puzzles is a great way for children to develop vocabulary skills and have fun, too! These easy to advanced crossword puzzles all feature words associated with the Thanksgiving Day celebration.
- The Pilgrims - A Thanksgiving crossword puzzle with a standard American-style grid courtesy of the New York Times Learning Network. This puzzle can also be played online.
- Thanksgiving Crossword - DLTK for Kids offers an easy Thanksgiving crossword for young solvers. The picture version of the crossword is intended for preschoolers and children who are new to spelling. Older children can use the verbal clues to solve the puzzle. Available in black and white or color.
- Thanksgiving Crossword Puzzle - An easy 9-word criss-cross game suitable for children at the primary school level.
- Thanksgiving Trivia Crossword - This little 8-word puzzle has cute illustrations and easy clues. Solution provided.
- Kids' Thanksgiving Crossword Thirteen words and easy clues. Solution provided.
- Thanksgiving Word Puzzle - This freeform puzzle of medium difficulty features 15 Thanksgiving words.
- Thanksgiving Crossword Worksheet - This 15-word crossword puzzle is best suited for older children and adults.
- Psalms of Thanksgiving Crossword - All the clues in this 26-word crossword puzzle are taken from verses in the Bible.
Thanksgiving Fill-in-the-Blank Crosswords
In these easy crossword games, a word list rather than a list of clues is provided. The child has to figure out where to place it in the crossword grid.
- Thanksgiving Fill-in Crossword - This crossword game has over 25 words and should keep young puzzlers occupied for while.
Online Thanksgiving Crosswords
- Thanksgiving Day Crossword Puzzle - Easy, interactive criss-cross puzzle from abcteach.
Online Jigsaw Puzzle Games
Play these free Thanksgiving jigsaw puzzles right on your computer.
Jigsaw puzzles make a wonderful learning game by encouraging analytical, abstract, and problem-solving skills. They can also help a child develop eye-hand coordination and spatial awareness. This page points you to dozens of online and printable Thanksgiving jigsaw puzzle games featuring pumpkins, turkeys, cornucopias, Pilgrims and more.
If you're looking for easy jigsaw puzzles to print, then take a look at DLTK Kids Printable Thanksgiving Jigsaw Puzzles. This website offers about a dozen Thanksgiving-themed jigsaw puzzle templates for children to print out and cut apart. These puzzles range in difficulty from a very easy 4-piece game to a more challenging 11-piece puzzle. The puzzles, available in either B&W or color, feature timely themes such as pilgrim boy and girl, pumpkins, cornucopia and of course, turkeys.
- Animated Thanksgiving Jigsaw Puzzle - Billy Bear for Kids has seven animated flash puzzles with a Thanksgiving theme. The puzzles come in three difficulty levels, 9 pcs, 25 pcs and 49 pcs.
- JigZone Gallery - Thanksgiving - Here, you'll find 10 jigsaw puzzles for Thanksgiving. You can select the piece cut and number of pieces to get a customized jigsaw puzzle anywhere from 6 to 247 pieces.
- Walking Turkey Jigsaw Puzzle - This is a cute little puzzle, but the sound effects can be pretty annoying.
- Thanksgiving Jigsaw Puzzles - Also from DLTK Kids, five easy jigsaw puzzles to play online. Puzzle themes include the horn of plenty, harvest, ships, turkey and pumpkins. These puzzles use the JigZone interface and are therefore customizable.
Younger children that haven't yet mastered reading can still benefit from puzzle games and activities. Try these tour puzzles, counting puzzles and hidden object games for some Thanksgiving Day fun that doesn't require good spelling or the memorization of vocabulary words.
Printable Counting Mazes
Counting mazes are a variation of the maze puzzle where you start with the lowest number and work your way up to the highest. Kids can navigate these labyrinths while practicing their counting skills.
Playing dot-to-dot puzzles is a fun way for preschoolers to learn basic counting skills. Here are some printable dot-to-dot puzzles featuring themes associated with the Thanksgiving Day celebration.
- Turkey Dot-to-Dot - An easy connect-the-dots activity using the letters "a" to "s".
- Pumpkin Dot-to-Dot - In this game, the child must connect the dots marked with the letters "a" to "z".
Thanksgiving Word Scrambles
For anagram aficionados, we have Thanksgiving word scrambles to print and solve.
- Thanksgiving Anagram - Younger children will enjoy the easy template as it includes a list of the completed words which they must slot into the blanks beside the corresponding anagram. The regular template does not include a list of words for more of a challenge.
- Thanksgiving Feast Word Scramble - Here's an easy anagram puzzle worksheet in which you need to unscramble the letters to find the 12 words related to Thanksgiving dinner.
- Thanksgiving Word Jumble - Here, you get two puzzles in one. First, you must unscramble the letters to form 15 Thanksgiving words, then use the numbered letters to decipher the secret message. Some of the words are quite long, making this game better suited for older children.