This free knitting pattern for a striped Santa stocking hat makes me think of Santa's hat, only a bit more fun. You could, of course, knit it in any two colors you like, or even in a solid color, if you don't want the Christmas feel.
Whether you knit this one as a holiday hat or not, it's still an easy hat that you'll love to wear.
- about 95 yards each of red and white medium weight acrylic (or wool) yarn (We used Red Heart Super Saver
- one size 8 US circular needle with a 16-inch cable, plus a set of 4 size 8 US double-pointed needles
- yarn needle
- a piece of cardboard to make a pom-pom, if desired
Watch Now: How to Make Perfect Pom-Poms
17.5 stitches and 28 rows (a little more than 4 stitches and 7 rows per inch) in Stockinette Stitch in the round.
Finished hat is 20 inches at the base and 24 inches long without pom-pom. It should fit a teenager or small adult.
Instructions for Striped Stocking Hat
- Using the circular needle, cast on 84 stitches in red. Join in round, being careful not to twist stitches. Place a stitch marker if desired.
- Work in knit 2, purl 2 ribbing for 1 inch. Switch to white yarn and knit in Stockinette Stitch for 8 rows.
- Switch back to red and knit 8 rows. Repeat again in white and in red.
- Switch back to white. *Knit 5, knit 2 together. Repeat from * around (72 stitches remain). Knit 7 more rows in white.
- Switch to red. *Knit 4, knit 2 together. Repeat from * around (60). On the next row, *knit 3, knit 2 together. Repeat from * around (48). Knit 6 more rows in red.
Shaping the Stocking Hat
- Change back to white. *Knit 2, knit 2 together. Repeat from * around (36 stitches). Knit 7 more rows in white.
- Knit a stripe in red, one in white, another in red and another in white, all without further decreasing.
- On the next red strip, *knit 1, knit 2 together. Repeat from * across (26). Knit the rest of the stripe.
- Knit straight in white, red, white and red.
- On the next white row, *knit 2 together. Repeat from * around (13). Finish white stripe.
- In red, knit 1, *knit 2 together. Repeat from * around (7). Finish red stripe, cut yarn and thread it onto yarn needle.
- Thread stitches onto yarn needle and pull tight.
Finishing the Hat
To finish the hat, weave in the ends. If desired you can add a pom-pom to the end, either in red or white. Use another piece of thread to sew the pom-pom to the end of the hat.
If you want to make this pattern your own, you can change the colors or use a single color, or slow down or speed up the rate of decreasing, depending on how long you want the hat to be.