01 of 04
How to Make Bricks and Cobblestones Quilt Blocks
Bricks and Cobblestones is a whimsical quilt block pattern that explains how to easily make a quilt from 2-1/2" wide strips of fabrics. The designs are perfect for jelly roll strips but work just as well when you cut your own strips of fabric.
Bricks and Cobblestones make wonderful scrap quilts but are just as lovely when you work with a more limited range of colors.
Choose Fabrics for Your Quilt Blocks
The examples on pages 3 and 4 are illustrations of quilt blocks made with tone-on-tone fabrics and prints. Bright geometric fabrics, dots, stripes, tone-on-tones, and small prints are excellent choices for a quilt but don't hesitate to choose any other theme that suits your needs.
Refer to the quilt block diagrams on page 2 for assembly diagrams.
Each cobblestone quilt block finishes at 6" x 6".
- Fabric 1: cut (1) 2-1/2" X 2-1/2" square
- Fabric 2: cut (2) 2-1/2" X 2-1/2" squares and (2) 2-1/2" x 6-1/2" rectangles
Sew Bricks Quilt Blocks
Each bricks quilt block finishes at 6" x 1`2"
- Fabric 1: cut (1) 2-1/2" X 8-1/2" rectangle
- Fabric 2: cut two 2-1/2" X 2-1/2" squares and (2) 2-1/2" X 12-1/2" rectangles
Use two different types of fabrics per block if you want to make a quilt like the one in the photo above. For example, if you choose a tone-on-tone for Fabric 1, choose a bright print for Fabric 2.Continue to 2 of 4 below.
02 of 04
Assemble the Bricks and Cobblestones Quilt Blocks
Sew the Cobblestone Quilt Blocks
Sew with a quarter inch seam allowance throughout. Use straight pins to secure fabrics before sewing. If you prefer not to use pins, try pressing aligned pieces with a medium hot iron to help them stick together.
- Gather the fabrics set aside for a Cobblestone quilt block.
- Sew a 2-1/2" Fabric 2 square to opposite sides of a 2-1/2" Fabric 1 square.
- Press to set the seams (not essential but improves the accuracy of any patchwork).
- Press seam allowances either direction.
- Sew a Fabric 2 rectangle to each long edge of the row you assembled in Step 1. Press seam allowances either direction.
- The block should measure 6-1/2" x 6-1/2".
- Repeat to make additional cobblestone blocks.
Sew the Bricks Quilt Blocks
- Gather the fabrics set aside for a Bricks quilt block.
- Sew a 2-1/2" Fabric 2 square to each short side of the 2-1/2" x 8-1/2" Fabric 2 rectangle. Set seams and press seam allowances either direction.
- Sew a 2-1/2" x 12-1/2" Fabric 2 rectangle to each long edge of the row you assembled in Step 1. Press seam allowances either direction.
- The block should measure 6-1/2" x 12-1/2".
- Repeat to make additional brick blocks.
Create a Quilt with the Blocks
Arranging Bricks and Cobblestone quilt blocks into a quilt layout is a bit like creating a jigsaw puzzle. Use a design wall or other flat surface to arrange blocks side by side. Leave the room for awhile and see if you still like the layout when you return. If not, shuffle the blocks around a bit more and check again.
Create a few additional quilt blocks if you feel they will help you balance the quilt's overall color and contrast.Continue to 3 of 4 below.
03 of 04
Pictures of Bricks and Cobblestones Quilt Blocks
Examples of Bricks and Cobblestones Quilt Blocks
Two cobblestones and one brick quilt block arranged but not yet sewn together.Continue to 4 of 4 below.
04 of 04
More Bricks and Cobblestones Quilt Block Examples
More Examples of Bricks and Cobblestones Quilt Blocks
Two cobblestone blocks line up perfectly with one brick quilt block.