This Staghorn Cable Scarf uses a relatively easy cable pattern worked on a field of Reverse Stockinette Stitch. The scarf is worked in the round, with a cable panel centered on each side, making for a super warm scarf that looks good on both sides.
This scarf is somewhat short but is a perfect length for tucking into a coat on a really cold morning. When finished, it's about 6 inches wide and 58 inches long. It can be made narrower by using fewer stitches between cable panels.
The knitting gauge is 13 stitches and 22 rows per 4 inches (3.25 stitches and 5.5 rows per inch) in Reverse Stockinette Stitch. But, it is not critical.
A good yarn would be any Donegal tweed yarn, of which there are many options. Your gauge doesn't have to match perfectly—this is a scarf, after all—but you want a nice warm scarf, so a somewhat firm gauge is good.
What You Need
Instructions for Knitting a Staghorn Cable Scarf
- Cast on 60 inches. Join in round, being careful not to twist stitches.
- If desired, place stitch markers at the beginning of the round, after 5 stitches, after 20 more stitches, 10 more stitches, and 20 more stitches.
- On each round work first 5 stitches in Reverse Stockinette Stitch (purl every row), next 20 stitches in Staghorn Cable pattern, next 10 stitches in Reverse Stockinette, next 20 in Staghorn Cable and final 5 in Reverse Stockinette.
- Continue to work in pattern for 58 inches. Bind off.
- Weave in ends and sew up the top and bottom of the scarf, centering cables on each side.
Staghorn Cable Stitch Pattern
Cable is worked on center 20 stitches on each round. Remember that you are always on the right side of the work, so this is not how the cable is worked flat.
Rounds 1, 3 and 5: P2, k16, p2.
Round 2: P2, k4, slip 2 stitches onto cable needle and hold in back, k2, k2 from cable needle (aka cable 4 back), slip 2 onto cable needle and hold in front, k2, k2 from cable needle (aka cable 4 front), k4, p2.
Round 4: P2, k2, cable 4 back, k4, cable 4 front, k2, p2.
Round 6: P2, cable 4 back, k8, cable 4 front, p2.