01 of 07
02 of 07
Cutting Directions for a One Yard Apron
Be sure your one yard of fabric has been cut squarely before you start.
Continue to 3 of 7 below.
- Remove the selvages from the fabric and press it smooth.
- Measure and mark as shown in the diagram. Cut on blue lines.
03 of 07
Hem the Sides of the Apron
Continue to 4 of 7 below.
- On the main body piece, stay stitch 1/4" from all edges.
- Using the stay stitch line as a guide, turn and press the 1/4" to the wrong side, on all edges.
- On the 27" edges, turn under 1" to enclose the raw edge.
- Press the 1" hem in place.
- Pin in place and stitch the hem by sewing as close to the 1/4" turned under edge as possible.
04 of 07
The Drawstring Casing
Continue to 5 of 7 below.
- On the top 45" edge, press under 3.5" to the wrong side.
- Line up ends and pin in place.
- Stitch the top in place by sewing as closely to the 1/4" stay stitched edge as possible.
- Topstitch 2 1/8" from the first row of stitching to form the drawstring casing.
05 of 07
Continue to 6 of 7 below.
- Turn under the 45" bottom edge 1 1/2".
- Press well.
- Line up the ends and pin in place.
- Stitch in place by sewing as close to the turned under 1/4" edge as possible.
06 of 07
The Drawstring - Two 4.5" by 31" Strips
Continue to 7 of 7 below.
- Join two strips on a 4.5" edge using 1/2" seams.
- Press the seam allowance to one side.
- Fold strips lengthwise, right sides together, matching long edges and ends.
- Sew the layers together by sewing 1/2" from the raw edge, leaving 4" in the center open for turning.
- Trim the corners to eliminate bulk.
- Turn right sides out.
- Make sure to push the corners square.
- Press under seam allowance at the area you left open for turning.
- Press the entire drawstring.
- Topstitch 1/4" from all edges,... pivoting your stitching at the corners.
- Use a safety pin to thread the drawstring through the casing.
07 of 07
The Pockets - Two 9" by 7" Pieces
Prepare the Pockets
- Stay stitch 1/4" from all edges.
- Press under using 1/4" stitch line as a guide.
- On the top edge of the pocket (a 7" edge) press under 1 1/2" for the pocket hem.
- Stitch the hem in place by sewing as close to the 1/4" turned under edge as possible.
- Repeat for the second pocket.
Attaching Pockets to Apron Body
- On apron body, measure 9" in from side edge and 6" up from the hemmed edge.
- Place the pocket 6" from the bottom hemmed edge and 9" from the... side edge.
- Pin the pocket in place.
- Stitching as close to the edges as possible, sew the pocket in place on all edges except the top hemmed edge.