Free crochet slipper patterns come in all shapes and sizes but there may be none for adults that are quite as easy as this set. To crochet these slippers, you only need to know basic techniques. Single crochet stitches and simple shaping do all the work to make cute and comfortable sock-like slippers. There is a matching free crochet pattern for baby slippers so you can make slippers for everyone in the family.
Skill Level: Easy +
You should be familiar with working both in rounds and flat in rows to complete these crochet slippers. Of course, people of all skill levels will enjoy working on these. They aren't just for beginners, but beginners will love them.
- Yarn: 2 (2, 2, 2) skeins Knit Picks, Swish Worsted. You may substitute any worsted weight fiber in place of the suggested yarn. Note that a machine washable yarn is generally preferable for footwear.
- Crochet Hook: US size G/4.5mm hook. Adjust hook sizes as necessary to achieve gauge listed below.
- Extras: Tapestry needle for weaving in ends.
Crochet Slippers Sizing
Gauge: 8 sc and 10 rnds = 2” using size G/4.5mm hook.
- Length (toe to back of heel): 9 (10, 11, 11)”
- Width (around ball of foot): 7 (8, 9, 10)”
- To Fit US Women’s Shoe Sizes: 3-6 (6-9, 8-12, 8-12 wide)
Use the shoe sizes as a reference only. It is best to measure the actual foot circumference and length whenever possible to get the best fit.
Crochet Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
This crochet pattern is written using US crochet terms including the following abbreviations:
This crochet pattern gives the smallest size with changes for larger sizes in parenthesis. When only one number appears it applies to all sizes.
You will work this crochet pattern in both rows and rounds. Rounds 1 to 4 will create the toe portion of the slipper. Rows 1 and 2 take you through the sole of the foot to the back of the heel. The final rows create a heel flap.
Work around the foundation chain on both the top (as normal) and the bottom to create the first round of this project.
Free Crochet Slippers Pattern
- Ch 8 (10, 12, 14).
- Foundation Rnd: Sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next 5 (7, 9, 11) ch sts, 3 sc in last ch. Do not turn. Rotate work 180 degrees. Sc in bottom loop of next 5 (7, 9, 11) ch sts, 2 sc in bottom loop of last ch st, sl st to beg sc to join rnd -- 16 (20, 24, 28) sc total.
- Rnd 1: Ch 1 (counts as 1st sc), sc in same st, sc in next 5 (7, 9, 11) sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in next st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 5 (7, 9, 11) sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in last st, sl st to beg ch to join rnd -- 20 (24, 28, 32) sc.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1 (counts as 1st sc), sc in same st, sc in next 7 (9, 11, 13) sts, 2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 7 (9, 11, 13) sts, 2 sc in next st, 1 sc in last st, sl st to beg ch to join rnd -- 24 (28, 32, 36) sc.
- Rnd 3: Ch 1 (counts as 1st sc), sc in same st, sc in next 9 (11, 13, 15) sts, 2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 9 (11, 13, 15) sts, 2 sc in next st, 1 sc in last st, sl st to beg ch to join rnd -- 28 (32, 36, 40) sc.
- Rnd 4: Ch 1 (counts as 1st sc), sc in each st around, sl st to beg ch to end -- 28 (32, 36, 40) sc.
- *Repeat Rnd 4 until piece measures 3 (3.5, 4, 4)” from the toe.
You will now begin working flat in rows.
- Row 1: Do not ch. Sc in next 4 (4, 5, 5) sts, turn.
- Row 2: Ch 1, sc in next 22 (24, 28, 30) sts, turn.
- *Repeat Row 2 until foot measures 8.75 (9.75, 10.75, 10.75)” from the tip of the toe, or 0.25” less than desired foot length.
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc in next 15 (16, 19, 20) sts, turn.
- Row 4: Ch 1, sc in next 8 (8, 10, 10) sts, turn.
- *Repeat Row 4 for 1.25 (1.25, 2, 2),” or until the flap is long enough to fold up and meet sides of bootie to close back of the foot.
- Last Row: Ch 1, sc2tog, sc in next 4 (4, 6, 6) sts, sc2tog -- 6 (6, 8, 8) sc.
- Fasten off yarn.
How to Assemble Crochet Slippers
You will now assemble the crochet slippers into the correct shape by closing up the back of the slippers.
- Thread the tapestry needle with yarn.
- Fold heel flap up to close the back of the bootie.
- Sew edges of the flap in place.
- Fasten off yarn.
Join yarn to the ankle of crochet slipper at center back of heel.
- Rnd 1: Work 60 (66, 72, 74) sc evenly spaced around entire ankle opening as an edging. Use the formula of 4 sts per inch to help you space your sts evenly.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc2tog, sc in every st around to last 2 sts, sc2tog, sl st to beg ch to join -- 58 (64, 70, 72) sc.
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, sc in every st to end of rnd, sl st to beg ch to join.
- Try on slippers and repeat Rnd 2 if necessary to get correct fit.
- Fasten off yarn and weave in ends.