01 of 05
Materials & Cutting
A purchased flag can not express the same love and pride, as one that has been made with your own two hands. An American flag makes a great gift! Use your sewing group to construct a flag to be donated to your community. Consider sharing your American pride by giving a flag, made with love, to the loved ones on your Christmas list.
Materials needed for an approximately 3' by 5' Flag:
- 3/4 yard of red flag weight nylon
- 3/4 yard of 60" wide white flag weight Nylon
- 2/3 yard of 60" wide blue flag weight Nylon
- Red thread
- White Thread
- Blue thread
- Optional - Invisible thread for the hems
- Grommet - available at most hardware stores and craft departments.
Continue to 2 of 5 below.
- 3 White strip - 60" by 3.5"
- 3 Red strip - 60" by 3/5"
- 4 Red strip - 34.5" by 3.5"
- 3 White strip - 34.5" by 3/5"
- 1 white strip - 33" by 4"
- 1 blue piece 26.5" by 19"
- You will work the stars from the remaining white as instructed in the directions.
02 of 05
Continue to 3 of 5 below.
- Set up your sewing machine with red thread and white thread (one in the bobbin and one as the top thread).
- Starting with a red strip, join the 34.5" long strips alternating red and white. Set aside.
- Join the 60" stripes starting with a white strip and ending with a red strip, set aside.
- Go back to the 34/5" long stripes. On the top seam trim away the white seam allowance, on the next seam trim away the red and continue alternating until trim all the finished seams. Turn under the wider seam allowance and stitch it down to create flat felled seams. You will need to change the white and red thread combination on your sewing machine. Full Directions For Flat Felled Seams
- On the 60" long stripes, trim the white seam allowance on the first seam and alternate the same way you did with the 34.5" stripes. Finish the seams the same way.
- Set the stripe sections aside.
03 of 05
The Star Template
Using approximately 100, 2.5" blocks of white, mark the edges of the star template on 50 of them.
On the blue section, using chalk or a temporary marker, mark 1.5" in from 3 edges and 2.5" in from the one 19" edge, to allow for hems and seams.Continue to 4 of 5 below.
04 of 05
Sewing the Stars
Inside the block area, you will be arranging the stars as shown in the photo, using 5 rows of 6 stars alternately with 4 rows of 5 stars.
Sandwich two white block on the star locations.
Satin stitch around the star outline. Trim away the outer edge of the blocks leaving the star intact. Repeat for all 50 stars.Continue to 5 of 5 below.
05 of 05
Joining Sections & Finishing
Attach the blue section to the 34.5" stripes. Using blue thread on the top and invisible thread or white thread in the bobbin. Trim the strip section of the seam allowance. Fold under the blue seam allowance and stitch down.
Join the 60" stripes to the blue and striped section. Create the flat felled seam by timing the white seam allowance and change your machine thread to correspond with where you are sewing.
Hem the three outer edges by folding under 1/4" and 1/4" again. Stitch the hem down with invisible thread or red thread.
Fold under 1/4" on each 4" end of the 33" by 4" white strip. Fold the strip in half lengthwise and fold each edge into the middle. Sandwich the raw edge of the flag inside the folded strip and stitch it into place. Place another row of stitching 1/4" inside from the original stitching for extra strength.
Place the grommets on the white band at the top and at the bottom, according to the grommet directions.
Hang your flag proudly and be sure to read more about the American flag in the links provided.