01 of 06
Sew A Dog Ears Head Piece - Materials
The degree of difficulty: Beginner/Intermediate Sewing Project
Continue to 2 of 6 below.
- Purchased headband - Try looking at a Dollar store.
- Fake Fur
- Thread - strong button and carpet thread work best for attaching the ears to the headband.
- Print out of the pattern
- Optional: Glue
02 of 06
Cut four of the pattern, being sure to turn the pattern over for two of the pieces. Save the scraps to use a small piece to cover the headband.Continue to 3 of 6 below.
03 of 06
Place right sides together and sew a 1/8" to 1/4" seam in the sides leaving the straight edge at the top of the pattern open. Trim any excess bulk from the seam allowances.Continue to 4 of 6 below.
04 of 06
Turn and Comb
Turn right sides out and comb the seams as described in Cutting And Sewing Fake Fur.Continue to 5 of 6 below.
05 of 06
The Raw Edge
Sew a running stitch across the straight edge of the ear and pull the thread to gather.Continue to 6 of 6 below.
06 of 06
Attach to Headband & Dog Costume Ideas
Wrap the thread around the headband and ear to secure the ear to the headband (shown here in red). Glue or stitch a scrap of fur on the area of the headband between the ears.
Simple Dog Costume Ideas
- Use a jogging suit or blanket sleeper to cover the body.
- Cut a strip of felt for a tail.
- Use makeup to make a nose and whiskers.
- For a Poodle: Use felt to make the ears. Add curly fur to the ends of the ears. Use a sweat suit for the body. Add curly fur or Jumbo Loopy Chenille to the headband, between... the ears. Make bands of curly fur or Jumbo Loopy Chenille for the wrists and ankles.