01 of 08
All machines are designed a bit differently. These instructions will show you how to make a pattern for your machine.
Continue to 2 of 8 below.
- Quilted fabric (the amount will depend on the pattern you make in the first two steps)
- Double fold bias tape
- Embroidery design (optional)
02 of 08
Create the End Pattern
- Looking at the end of your sewing machine, measure across the base, sides, and top as shown in the picture. Allow a 1/2' to 3/4" of ease rather than snug measurements.
For the machine shown here, due to the angles, it was easiest to hold a piece of newspaper print paper to the end of the machine and fold the paper to the desired size on the end of the cover and then add 1/2" seam allowances to three sides of the pattern.
Continue to 3 of 8 below.
- Draw the desired size on a piece of paper and add 1/2" to all of the sides except the bottom. This is the pattern for the ends of the cover.
- Using the lines indicating the finished size of the end pattern piece, find the total of the height, across the top of the pattern piece and the second height. A+B+C = Sum
- Fold the top of the pattern in half and continue the fold down the pattern piece. Use this fold as a straight grain line to layout and cut two of this piece.
03 of 08
Make the Front, Top, and Back Pattern Piece
Continue to 4 of 8 below.
- Measure the distance across the front of the sewing machine. Be sure to include the amount the hand wheel and wires protrude. Again allow an addition 1/2" to 3/4" of ease rather than a snug measurement.
- Add 1" to the width for seam allowances. The front, top and back piece will be one piece of fabric that is the width of the front as measured above by the sum of A+B+C from the end pattern piece.
- Cut 1 of this pattern piece.
04 of 08
Sewing, Step 1
All directions use a 1/2" seam.
Continue to 5 of 8 below.
- Optional: Sew the optional embroidery on the center front of the front, top and back piece. Find the center front by lining up the front of the end piece on the front of the front/top/back piece and the folding the front section in quarters.
- Apply the piping to the sides and top of both end pieces.
05 of 08
Sewing, Step 2
Continue to 6 of 8 below.
- Find the top center of the cover end pieces, by folding the piece in half. Mark the center.
- Fold the length of the front, top and back piece to find the center. Mark the center.
- Match the center markings and pin together.
- Continue, clipping the corners of the front, top and back piece to go around the corners.
- Sew the seams, joining the end pieces to the front, top and back pieces.
06 of 08
Sewing, Step 3
Continue to 7 of 8 below.
- Trim the seams and apply a seam finish.
- Press the seams towards the end pieces.
07 of 08
Sewing, Step 4
Continue to 8 of 8 below.
- Place the cover on the machine.
- Make adjustments for cords or knee controls by making a curved edge opening in the bottom of the cover. (Curving the opening, will eliminate the need to miter corners when applying the double fold bias tape.)
08 of 08
Sewing, Step 5
- Starting at the center back of the bottom of the cover, enclose the entire bottom edge of the cover with the double fold bias tape.
- Turn the curves on any adjustments you made to the straight edge.