Materials and Cutting Directions
- Cut two 24" X 21" rectangles - front and back of the bag
- Cut two 3" X 24" - zipper sections
- Cut two 6" X 32 1/2" - sides and bottom of the bag
- Cut two - 3" X 24" - zipper section lining
- Cut two - 18" X 24" - front and back lining
- Cut two - 6" X 30 1/2" - sides and bottom of the bag lining
- Place the zipper right side down on a 24" edge of one of the 3" X 24" pieces, aligning the edge of the zipper with the edge of the fabric.
- Using a 1/4" seam allowance, sew the zipper tape to the fabric.
- Repeat using the other 3" X 24" piece on the opposite zipper tape.
- Place the right side of a lining piece on the zipper, sandwiching the zipper between the fabrics and sew the lining to the fabric with a 1/4" seam allowance.
- Repeat for the lining on the second side of the zipper.
- Sew a seam finish to the sewn edges.
- Press the zipper tape flat, pressing both layers of fabric away from the zipper.
- Top stitch the edge of the pressed edge to hold the fabric in place away from the zipper.
- Baste the edges of the fabric and lining together.
Sides and Bottom Section
- Place wrong sides together matching one set of the 6" ends of the 6" X 32 1/2" pieces.
- Sew using a 1/2" seam allowance.
- Apply a seam finish.
- Press the seam to one side.
- Top stitch the seam to the body of the fabric.
Attach the Sides and Bottom to the Sides
- Placing the right sides together, match the seam of the sides/bottom piece to the center of the bottom of the bag front or back.
- Pin the bottom in place.
- At the corners, clip the bottom/sides piece and align the edges to the top edge. Pin in place.
- Sew the bottom/side piece to the front/back piece using 1/2" seam allowance.
- Apply a seam finish.
- Repeat for the other front/back piece.
Cut the Bag Top
- Pin the top of the bag together.
- Measure and mark 3" from the top of the bag.
- Cut the top of the bag at the 3" mark.
Prepare Bag Top
- Match the seams of the top piece that was cut off the bag, with the corners of the zipper section.
- Sew them together using a 1/2" seam allowance. Clip at the corners where necessary to turn the corners.
- Apply a seam finish to the seam.
- Assemble the body of the bag lining the same way the body of the bag was constructed in step 4.
- Place the lining in the body of the bag with the wrong sides of the fabrics together.
- Match the seams and baste the top edges together.
Attach the Straps
- On the front and back of the bag, measure in 5" from the side seams.
- Pin the straps in place.
- Sew the straps multiple times to the body of the bag, inside the 1/2" seam allowance.
Reattach the Top Section
- Open the zipper on the zipper section.
- Place the bag through the zipper, keeping the right sides of the fabric together.
- Align the seams and reattach the fabric that was cut off the top, which now has the zipper attached.
Final Top Stitching
- Fold the top right sides out, folding the top of the bag into the bag on the seam line.
- Press so the seam line is the top edge of the bag.
- Top stitch the top of the bag, 1/2" from the folded seam line.