01 of 08
This baby bib is the perfect solution to truly cover up those precious baby clothes and prevent stains. This towel bib even provides coverage on the shoulders so when the baby turns away, the clothes are still covered.
Remember shower and newborn gifts for Grandma's house while you are making the bibs!
- Hand towel or finger towel
- Hook and Loop Tape (Velcro)
- 10" by 2 1/2" of Ribbing
- Optional: Add machine embroidery or applique to the bib to make it extra special.
Note: Neck opening and ribbing may be adjusted to make an adult or older child bib.Continue to 2 of 8 below.
02 of 08
Cutting the Towel
Continue to 3 of 8 below.
- Fold the longest part of the towel into thirds. Along one of the folds, fold the towel in half, to find the center of the first fold.
- Using a tape measure, measure in from the corner of the fold 1½" to form a quarter circle. Cut through all layers to cut a circle out of the towel.
03 of 08
Gently Press & Cut
Continue to 4 of 8 below.
- Gently Press the fold lines to mark quarters of the towel.
- On the one-third cut in on one side of the circle.
04 of 08
Continue to 5 of 8 below.
- Fold the ribbing in half, right sides together, along the 10" edge.
- Using a ¼" seam allowance, seam the short ends of the ribbing.
- Turn right sides out to enclose the seam.
- Baste the long edges of the ribbing together.
- Fold the ribbing in quarters and mark the quarter marks.
05 of 08
Attach the Ribbing
Continue to 6 of 8 below.
- Match the quarter marks with the gently pressed marks on the towel.
- Stretch ribbing to fit the circular opening on the towel, matching the ends of the ribbing with the straight edge opening.
- Use a 1/4" seam allowance to attach the ribbing to the towel.
- Zigzag or serge the seam allowance.
06 of 08
Cut the Hook and Loop Tape
Continue to 7 of 8 below.
- Measure the straight edge opening on the towel from the ribbing seam to the edge of the towel. Cut a piece of hook and loop tape (Velcro) to fit.
07 of 08
Attach the Loop Tape
Continue to 8 of 8 below.
- Placing the fuzzy side of the tape on the edge of the right side of the towel, with the ribbing seam allowance under the towel, zigzag the loop tape to the edge of the towel.
- Turn the fuzzy side up with the seam allowance under the towel and top stitch the loop tape in place so that it extends past the edge of the towel.
08 of 08
Attach the Hook Tape
- Lay the hook side of the hook and loop tape on the front edge of the towel opening, with the smooth side of the tape on the underside of the opening.
- Zigzag the neck edge of the hook tape to the towel with the ribbing seam allowance under the hook tape. Zigzag the tape at the raw edge of the towel.
- Use a straight stitch the attach the other two edges of the hook tape.