01 of 05
Sewing a Basketball Pillow
You can decorate a child's room with a basketball that's safe in the house by following this easy basketball pillow pattern. The pattern provided makes a ball that fits nicely in an adult hand, but it can be enlarged at a copy machine for a full-size basketball.
Continue to 2 of 5 below.
- 1/3 yard of fabric
- 1 package maxi piping
- print out of pattern in PDF format
- large bag of polyester stuffing.
02 of 05
Cutting and Setting Up
Continue to 3 of 5 below.
- Using the pattern, cut a total of 8 pieces (cut four with the fabric folded).
- Lay the cut pieces out as shown in the picture to create four sets.
03 of 05
Joining Two Sections
Continue to 4 of 5 below.
- Attach piping to one curved edge of each set of pieces.
- Return the pieces to the previous set up after attaching the piping.
- Join the curved edges by placing the right sides of the fabric together, matching opposite ends of the curved edges to each other.
04 of 05
Create Half the Basketball
Continue to 5 of 5 below.
- Set two joined sections next to each other so the seams are in the same direction on both sections.
- Attach piping to one seam that is butted to the second section.
- Join the two sections.
- Repeat for the other two sections to create the second half of the pillow.
05 of 05
Finish the Pillow
- Sew piping to the un-sewn edge on one-half section
- Place the halves right sides together, with the pipped seams matching each other.
- Sew the circle, leaving an opening to stuff the pillow.
- Turn right side out.
- Fill the pillow with stuffing.
- Slip stitch the opening closed.