Finding sentiments and greetings for handmade wedding cards should be very straightforward. The message is quite simple and is generally along the lines of wishing the newly married couple a long and happy life together. Find the right words for a handmade wedding card, however, can be surprisingly difficult. Here are some ideas to help you find the perfect words to give an extra special finishing touch to the special one-of-a-kind wedding card that you have lovingly created. In addition to the ideas here, sign up to get crafting inspiration delivered to your inbox each week.
Types of Sentiments and Greetings for Handmade Wedding Cards
There are many different types of sentiments and greetings that are suitable for handmade wedding cards. These can be used on the front of the card or inside to share a special message. The words can also be used as an integral part of the card design. The type of words that you use should be tailored to the card design. If you are creating a classical and traditional styled card then the most appropriate form of words should echo the classic nature of the design. A funny or amusing saying may be incongruous. Likewise, a card design that is light hearted and fun will be well suited to amusing sayings.
Using Sentiments as Inspiration for Card Designs
While picking sentiments or words for a handmade card generally is one of the last steps in the creation process, sometimes a quote or poem can provide inspiration for a card design.
How to Apply Sentiments to Wedding Cards
There are many ways that you can apply a sentiment to wedding cards. Rubber stamps are available with many different sentiments on them, including ones for weddings. This can be a great solution, however many card makers may find this limiting – unless, of course, you have access to a wide range of stamps. Hand writing or printing sentiments onto paper and attaching this to a card can be a good compromise. Take a look at How to Add Sentiments to Cards for more tips and advice.
The websites below have lots of different verses and sentiments that are ideal for adding to a handmade card.
Poems for Wedding Cards
Poems and poetry have long been used to convey special messages. Poetry is often referred to as the language of poetry which makes it perfect for use in wedding cards. Here are some ideas for poems that are great for using in handmade wedding cards:
- Hitched – poems and verses from well known poets and authors.
- Poems for Free – a range of unique poems suitable for wedding cards. Non commercial use only.
Use Wedding Toasts in Handmade Cards
Wedding toasts also make interesting and different sentiments for use in wedding cards. There are a wide variety to choose from, including sentimental toasts through to funny and wry verses:
Wedding quotations are ideal for using in handmade cards. Wedding quotes are typically short and to the point and this means that they can be used on the front as part of the design as well as inside the card. There are many different types of wedding quote available, making it easy to find the right one for the special couple:
- Quote Garden – an extensive range of quotes including amusing and sentimental words.
- Love Quote – a large database of quotations suitable for wedding cards.
- Verses4Cards – quotations that are particularly suited to civil partnerships.
- Making Greeting Cards quotes suitable for use in cards.
- Imag-e-nation – verses, quotes and poems.
Wedding Song Lyrics
There are many different wedding songs and a few lyrics from a song can make an extra special verse for a card. Pick a song that is by the couple's favorite band or song writer, or simply pick some lyrics with a special meaning:
While this might not be appropriate for every wedding, wedding jokes can make an amusing addition to a card. Remember that wedding cards are often read by many family members, therefore it is important not to pick any jokes that might offend:
Tips for Writing the Perfect Words for a Wedding Card
Here are some tips to help you write the perfect words to complement your handmade card
- Keep it personal! – use the name of the couple. Bought cards have to use generic terms such as 'the couple' however you can make your card much more personal by incorporating the couple's names into the sentiment or greeting.
- Special memories – if you have special memories of the bridal couple, why not write this in the card rather than looking for a standard saying or greeting. Unlike many other types of greeting card, a wedding card is likely to be saved and cherished for many years to come.
- From the heart – a few heartfelt words make all the difference to a wedding card.For instance why not write your tips for a long and happy marriage?