Texture for Little Ones
Baby hats are great little projects for showers or for when meeting the new baby, and this seed stitch baby hat pattern is a quick and easy knit that mom and baby will both love.
The textured pattern makes it stretchy so it will fit a variety of heads, and since it's knit in cotton (though you could use any medium weight yarn you like), it's easy to care for.
It's even sized for a couple of preemie sizes if the baby is born a little early.
- One skein Bernat Cottontots (we used Grape Berry) or 10 to 30 yards of your favorite medium weight yarn. One skein will make several hats
- One set of four size 7 US double-pointed needles
- Yarn needle
20 stitches and 30 rows per 4 inches (5 stitches and 7.5 rows per inch) in Seed Stitch in the round.
About 9 inches (10 inches, 11 inches, 12 inches) to fit a 2-3 pound (4-5 pound, 5-6 pound, full-term), newborn. Instructions begin with the smallest size, and larger sizes are given in order in parentheses. Size pictured is for a 4-5 pound preemie.
Watch Now: How to Seed Stitch
Instructions for Beginning of Seed Stitch Baby Hat
- Using one needle, cast on 44 (50, 56, 60) stitches. Distribute onto three needles (or four, if you have a set of five needles) as evenly as possible. Join in the round, being careful not to twist stitches. Place a stitch marker if desired to mark the end of the row.
- Work in knit 1, purl 1 ribbing for 4 rows.
- Work in Seed Stitch as follows for 3.5 (4, 4.5, 5.5) inches:
- Row 1: *Purl 1, knit 1. Repeat from * around.
- Row 2: *Knit 1, purl 1. Repeat from * around.
- Note that the last stitch of a round and the first stitch of the next round will be the same type of stitch, either knit or purl.
Shaping the Hat
Note: The top of the hat can be worked in plain Stockinette Stitch, or you can keep it basically in Seed Stitch by working each stitch as much as possible the opposite of the stitch below (purl the knits and knit the purls). The word "work" is used below instead of knitting or purl so you can stitch whatever is appropriate for your hat.
- *Work 9 (23, 5, 8), work 2 together. Repeat from * around.
- *Work 2, work 2 together. Repeat from * around.
- Work one round without decreasing.
- *Work 1, work 2 together. Repeat from * around.
- *Work 2 together. Repeat from * around.
- *Work 2 together. Repeat from * around again.
Finishing the Hat
- Cut yarn and thread onto a sewing needle.
- Slip each stitch in order off the knitting needles and pull yarn through, pulling tightly.
- Weave in ends.