01 of 04
Learn How to Make Scrap Basket Quilt Blocks
Scrap quilt lovers will have fun with oversize scrappy baskets quilt block pattern. Blocks finish at 15" x 15", so it doesn't take long to stitch enough to create a bed quilt, especially if you put the blocks on-point and separate them with a plain setting square or super simple quilt block, such as Snowball.
Quick-pieced half square triangle units make up the majority of this scrappy basket, with rectangles and a couple of single triangles completing the mix.
The quilt block goes... together easily when you use quick piecing techniques to its assembly. Follow the instructions to make two scrappy basket blocks, and repeat to create more.
Basket Quilt Block Cutting Chart
The straight grain should run parallel to the outer edges of squares and rectangles.
Light Background Fabric
- Seven 3-7/8" squares
- One 6-7/8" square
- Four 3-1/2" x 9-1/2" rectangles
- Three 3-7/8" squares
Dark for Outer Flower Tips
- Seven 3-7/8" squares, scrappy variety from your stash
Medium Dark for Inner Flower Tips
- Six 3-7/8" squares, scrappy variety from your stash; values can vary slightly for interest
Dark for Basket Base & Legs
- One 9-7/8" square
- Two 3-7/8" squares
Brush Up on Your Quilting Skills
If you're a beginning quilter, you might want to review a few important quilt block construction topics:Continue to 2 of 4 below.
02 of 04
Sew Triangle Square Units for the Basket Quilt Block
How to Make Half Square Triangle Units
Continue to 3 of 4 below.
- Pair each of the seven light background squares with a dark square of the same size. Pair each of the three medium light squares with three medium dark squares of the same size.
- Use my scrappy quick pieced triangle-square method to sew and then cut apart each pair, producing 20 triangle square units that measure 3-1/2" x 3-1/2".
- Cut each of the three remaining 3 7/8" medium-dark squares in half once diagonally to produce six triangles.
- Cut the... 9-7/8" basket base square in half once diagonally, then do the same with the dark basket leg squares.
- Cut the 6-7/8" light background square in half once diagonally.
03 of 04
Scrap Basket Quilt Block Assembly Instructions
Basket Quilt Block Assembly
Continue to 4 of 4 below.
- Arrange three medium-light/medium-dark triangle square units into three rows, then place the medium-dark single triangles at the ends of rows as shown above (these triangles are illustrated as somewhat lighter than triangles in half-square triangle units - yours might not be as light, and that's fine). Sew components of each row together.
- Press seam allowances in adjoining rows in opposite directions, then join the rows. Press the new seams toward the lighter... triangles.
- Matching all sides carefully, sew the basket base to the pieced unit along the longest edge. If the pieced section is slightly smaller than the base or is skewed, see if a careful pressing will bring it into shape.
- Sew three light/dark half-square triangle units in a vertical row as shown. Press seam allowances toward the darker triangles. Sew the row to the left side of the basket unit, matching seam intersections carefully.
- Sew four light/dark triangle-squares in a horizontal row as shown. Attach to the top edge of the base unit, pressing seam allowances in adjoining rows in opposite directions. Be sure to match seam intersections carefully. Press the new unit.
04 of 04
Finish Sewing the Scrap Basket Quilt Block
You're almost finished sewing the basket quilt block.
- Sew a basket leg triangle to the end of two background rectangles, making a mirror image pair as shown above. Press seam allowances toward the triangles.
- Sew the units from Step 1 to the right side and bottom of the block. Press seams toward the new units.
- Finish the basket quilt block by sewing the longest edge of a light background triangle to the lower right edge of the block. Center it carefully before sewing. Press seam allowance toward... the large triangle.
- Use the remaining pieces to make another basket quilt block.
Cut additional sets of fabric to make additional scrappy basket blocks.