01 of 06
How to Make Premium Star Quilt Blocks
Try this Premium Star quilt block pattern to make traditional patchwork quilt blocks that resemble the popular Bear's Paw design.
There are a few differences between the two blocks. Premium Star has more half square triangle units sewn to its four large squares and the rectangles that separate the corner units are wider than the bars used in a Bear's Paw design.
Like Bear's Paw, this block works nicely with either an orderly fabric arrangement or as a scrap quilt.
Both blocks are good choices if you love to make big quilt blocks.
Finished Premium Star Blocks: 15" x 15"
Quilting Fabric & Cutting Instructions
The half square triangle units used in the block are easy to make with a simple quick piecing method. Cutting instructions assume you'll use the method explained on page 2. If you choose another assembly technique, change the cutting instructions to yield half square triangle units that finish at 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" (2" square unfinished).
Bluish-purple print for block center and half square triangle units:
- (12) 2-3/8" x 2-3/8" squares (or cut larger squares and trim back after assembly
- (1) 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" square
Reddish-rust printed fabric for large squares
- (4) 5" x 5" squares
Neutral print for rectangles along each midline
- (4) 3-1/2" x 6-1/2" rectangles
White on white print for half square triangle units
Continue to 2 of 6 below.
- (12) 2-3/8" x 2-3/8" squares (or cut to match the bluish-purple squares)
- (4) 2" x 2" squares
02 of 06
Assemble the Quilt Block
Make Patchwork and Sew Premium Star
Continue to 3 of 6 below.
- Gather the 2-3/8" x 2-3/8" white on white and blue-purple squares. Draw a diagonal line from one corner to the opposite corner on the reverse side of each lightest square.
- Pair the squares right sides together and use the easy quick pieced half square triangle method to make a total of (24) units that each measure 2" x 2".
- Trim each unit back to that size is you sewed with oversize squares.
- Refer to the illustration, middle row. Use a quarter inch seam allowance to sew three half square triangle units together to create a vertical row as illustrated.
- Press seam allowances either direction. Sew the row to the left side of a large square.
- Sew three more units into a horizontal row as shown, and then sew a 2" square to the strip's left end. Press seam allowances towards the end with a square. Sew the strip to the top of the large square, matching seams carefully. Press seam allowance either way.
- Repeat to make three more identical units to use in block corners.
- Sew a neutral rectangle between two corner units as shown, bottom left. Press seam allowances towards the rectangle. Repeat to make another identical unit.
- Sew a neutral bar to opposite sides of the 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" block center. Press seam allowances towards the center.
- Sew a corners/rectangle unit lengthwise to the narrow rectangles/square unit. Repeat, sewing the remaining corners/rectangle unit to the other side of the rectangles/bar unit. Press.
- The quilt block should measure 15-1/2" x 15-1/2".
03 of 06
Premium Star Quilt Layout Example
To create this example quilt, Snowball quilt blocks with white print interiors are placed between nine Premium Star quilt blocks that are set on point.
Plain, dark setting triangles fill in the gaps around outer edges.Continue to 4 of 6 below.
04 of 06
Premium Star Quilt Blocks On Point
This on-point example of Premium Star quilt blocks uses a single fabric for Snowball block interiors and for setting triangles.Continue to 5 of 6 below.
05 of 06
Premium Star Quilt Blocks Horizontal Layout
Here, Premium Star quilt blocks are sewn side by side. This layout totally changes the character of the quilt block, making its half square triangle units come together to form a flying geese-like design.
This layout would be perfect for a scrap quilt.Continue to 6 of 6 below.
06 of 06
Quilt Example: Premium Star Quilt Block with Sashing
Sew sashing and cornerstones between straight set Premium Star quilt blocks to separate the blocks and make their design more visible.