01 of 03
Bending Popsicle Sticks
A popsicle stick (also known as a lollipop stick or wooden craft stick) is made of wood. In order to bend the stick into a circular shape, you need to soak the wood first in order to soften the fibers if the wood. This will help you bend the stick and, with a bit of luck, you will be able to bend the stick until it forms a shape suitable for making a bangle.
How to Keep the Bent Shape of the Popsicle Stick
If you bend a popsicle stick into shape and then simply let it go, it will spring back flat (or at least flat-ish). In order to get your shape to 'fix,' you must force the bent stick into position while it dries and the grains 'set' into their new position.Continue to 2 of 3 below.
02 of 03
- Take the popsicle sticks and put them into a saucepan with a dash of washing-up detergent (this will act as a softener, reducing the surface tension of the water and helping it to soak into the grains of the wood).
- Put the saucepan onto a heat source until the water is boiling and then leave the sticks in the water to cool.
- Take one stick from the water. Carefully start gently bending the stick into a circular shape. At this stage, you are simply flexing the wood.
Tip: Just work on one stick at a time and leave the remaining sticks covered in water. This will stop them from drying out before you have time to work on them.Continue to 3 of 3 below.
03 of 03
Make Your Bangle or Other Craft
- Take a glass, mug, or another receptacle which is the correct size and carefully push the popsicle stick inside. You may need to exert pressure to get the stick into the glass. Leave to one side for the popsicle stick to dry.
- When the popsicle stick is dry it will retain its shape and can be removed from the glass. You can then decorate this in a whole variety of ways, including stamping, painting, or wrapping with fabric to create an attractive bracelet, bangle, or napkin ring.