01 of 04
Origami Square Hanging Decoration Tutorial!
With this tutorial you will learn how to make a Traditional Origami Spinning Top, these awesome modular origami toys make great hanging decorations too!
You will need 6 sheets of square paper. Using paper that is about 15 x 15 cm is recommended to start with.
Using different colored sheets for each 'module' gives this origami decoration a unique look. They would also look especially nice all in white, hanging from clear threads.
These origami hanging decorations make a great activity for you to make together with your child. They are challenging enough to keep their interest but easy to get the hang of!Continue to 2 of 4 below.
02 of 04
Origami Square Hanging Decoration Tutorial - Step 1
We'll start by making an origami 'water bomb base'.
1. Start with your paper color side up. Fold the paper in half, left to right and unfold, then fold in half, bottom to the top and unfold.
2. Flip the paper over to the other side. Fold the paper in half diagonally in both directions so that you are left with an X.
3. Using the creases you have just made, collapse the left and rights sides inwards and top-down over the top.
4. This is the finished water bomb base.
Tip: The neater the folds are at the start, the better your origami models will turn out!Continue to 3 of 4 below.
03 of 04
Origami Square Hanging Decoration Tutorial - Step 2
5. Take your water bomb base and fold the top layer of the left section over to the right. Do the same on the back.
6. You will need to make a total of 6 of these. It helps to use 2 different colored papers so that you have 3 of each color.
7. Take 2 of modules. They should be opposite each other.
8. Get another module, and insert the top points of the first two into it. It helps to keep these a bit loose.Continue to 4 of 4 below.
04 of 04
Origami Square Hanging Decoration Tutorial - Step 3
9. Get another module and insert the bottom points of the first two into it.
10. This is what you should have.
11. Get another module, insert the left and right points of this one into the pockets from the first 2. The points that stick out from the second 2 go inside this new module.
12. Rotate the model to the other side, and repeat the last step. You can now straighten and secure these together, they will stay in place.