01 of 05
Origami Square Box Instructions
Here's a simple variation of the traditional origami masu box. There is something chic about slim, shallow gift boxes, and it looks nice if you decorate the lid too, perhaps with an origami bow, lotus flower or a simple ribbon?
To make a lid, start with slightly smaller paper, or you can fold a bit less in step #4.
For this simple origami box, all you need is one square sheet of origami paper, and you can use any size - it looks excellent with patterned washi paper, or simple one colored paper.Continue to 2 of 5 below.
02 of 05
First Group of Steps
1. Start by folding your paper in half both ways, then flip the paper over and fold in half diagonally both ways, and you will end up with the folds in the correct placement.
2. Fold the bottom corner into the center.
3. Fold the other 3 corners into the center as well.
4. Fold the bottom edge up a bit, mine roughly a third way up to the center.Continue to 3 of 5 below.
03 of 05
Second Group of Steps
5. Unfold the last fold, letting the flap underneath flip backward.
6. Rotate the paper to the right. The next fold will be where the line is.
7. Fold the bottom edge up to meet the diagonal edge of the right flap as indicated.
8. Here is a closeup to better explain the alignment.Continue to 4 of 5 below.
04 of 05
Third Group of Steps
9. Keep rotating the paper to the right and do the same with the other edges.
10. Unfold the left and right flaps.
11. Fold the top and bottom edges up to assemble the box.
12. Close the box the same way as a Masu box, by pushing in where shown.Continue to 5 of 5 below.
05 of 05
Fourth Group of Steps
13. Fold the flap over and inside the box.
14. Straighten the box to keep it in place.
15. Do the same with the other side.
16. Straighten out the box!