01 of 05
Origami Square Box Instructions
I love this simple variation of the traditional origami masu box, this box is folded the same way, follow my easy step by step instructions to make your own.
To make a lid, start with slightly smaller paper, or you can fold a bit less in step #4.
For this easy origami box, all you need is one square sheet of origami paper, you can use any size - it looks great with patterned washi paper, or simple one coloured paper.Continue to 2 of 5 below.
02 of 05
Origami Square Box Instructions - Step 1
1. Start by folding your paper in half both ways, then flip the paper over and fold in half diagonally both ways, you will end up with the folds in the correct placement.
2. Fold the bottom corner into the center.
3. Fold the other 3 corners into the center as well.
4. Fold the bottom edge up a bit, mine roughly a third way up to the center.Continue to 3 of 5 below.
03 of 05
Origami Square Box Instructions - Step 2
5. Unfold the last fold, letting the flap underneath flip backwards.
6. Rotate the paper to the right. The next fold will be where the line is.
7. Fold the bottom edge up to meet the diagonal edge of the right flap as indicated.
8. Here is a closeup to better explain the alignment.Continue to 4 of 5 below.
04 of 05
Origami Square Box Instructions - Step 3
9. Keep rotating the paper to the right and do the same with the other edges.
10. Unfold the left and right flaps.
11. Fold the top and bottom edges up to assemble the box.
12. Close the box the same way as a Masu box, by pushing in where shown.Continue to 5 of 5 below.
05 of 05
Origami Square Box Instructions - Step 4
13. Fold the flap over and inside the box.
14. Straighten the box to keep it in place.
15. Do the same with the other side.
16. Straighten out the box!
If you get stuck, you can watch a quick video tutorial of this model on Youtube here.
Did you make a square origami box? Tag #paperkawaii on instagram so that I can see!
For more tutorials and also video tutorials, I run a youtube channel called Paper Kawaii, also check out some of my websites below if you like :)