01 of 09
Puffy Origami Heart Tutorial
Origami hearts are perfect for Valentine's Day, or any time of year. Hang them from the ceiling, use them as pendants, string several together to make a garland, or use them to embellish straws or pencils for a fun party favor.
What makes these puffy origami hearts even better than standard heart origami is that they also open up like clams. If you use paper that is thin but strong and add a dab of glue on the flaps, you can use them as gift boxes for jewelry, candies, or other small trinkets.Continue to 2 of 9 below.
02 of 09
Make Your Initial Folds
1. Start with the white side up. Fold the paper in half from top to bottom. Unfold.
2. Make a 2-inch long pinch by folding in half right to left, and only creasing that area.
3. Fold the right and left into the middle.Continue to 3 of 9 below.
03 of 09
Fold Into Sections
4. Fold the paper in half from top to bottom.
5. Fold the top right corner in a bit, imagining that the top has four equal sections. This doesn't need to be exact.Continue to 4 of 9 below.
04 of 09
Fold the Corners
6. Fold the left corner down at the diagonal next to the right corner fold.
7. Repeat on the left. You should see a V in the center.
8. Fold the corners inwards as shown.Continue to 5 of 9 below.
05 of 09
Open the Paper and Fold
9. Open the paper up again.
10. Fold the bottom left and right corners into the middle.
11. Unfold and then fold the corners to the previous crease.
12. Reverse the inside fold the crease previously made.Continue to 6 of 9 below.
06 of 09
Create the Point
13. Open up the front layer while keeping the flap inside together.
14. Fold the little flap behind itself along the crease you created. If you don't understand this part, you might need to use a bit of glue at the end.
15. Repeat on the left side.Continue to 7 of 9 below.
07 of 09
Work on the Opposite Side
16. Rotate the model so that you are working on the opposite edge.
17. Fold the bottom left and right corners into the middle. Unfold.
18. Fold them to the previous creases. Unfold.
19. Inside reverse fold the previous crease. Repeat on the left.Continue to 8 of 9 below.
08 of 09
Create the Pocket
20. Pick up the heart, then reverse fold the left and right corners.
21. Reinforce the diamond as mountain folds.
22. Close the heart while pushing down on the diamond at the top.
23. Open it a bit and look at the flap on the top right.Continue to 9 of 9 below.
09 of 09
Finish Your Origami Heart
24. Similar to the flap we secured on the bottom, flip this little flap within the front or behind itself to secure.
25. Use a chopstick or pencil to make it easier and add a small amount of glue if you need it.
26. Now you can insert the flaps on one end of the heart into the pockets.
27. If your heart origami is a little squashed, use the chopstick or pencil to gently pop the corners out again.