01 of 07
Gather Your Materials
As pretty as it is useful, this origami box is ideal to hold pens and pencils, sewing tools, or even chopsticks due to its length and snugly fitting lid.
You will need one sheet of square paper, on the thicker side.
Tip: To ensure writing instruments fit in the box, a 21 x 21 cm-size paper is ideal. For longer pencils or something like knitting needles, choose a bigger-sized paper.Continue to 2 of 7 below.
02 of 07
Begin to Fold
Continue to 3 of 7 below.
- Start white side up.
- Get a ruler and pencil and mark your paper at the bottom seven equal sections.
- You can work out sevenths by taking the width of your paper, (21) and dividing it by 7. (3)
- Using the marks as guides, fold the paper into the seven sections.
- This is the result.
03 of 07
Fold in Corners
Continue to 4 of 7 below.
- Turn your paper so that the creases are horizontal.
- Fold in all four corners.
- Unfold the corners.
- Fold the bottom seventh in half.
04 of 07
Fold, Unfold and Flip
Continue to 5 of 7 below.
- Unfold the previous fold.
- Using the corner crease as a guide, fold the left edge inwards s shown.
- Take some time making this fold right.
- Fold the left edge in the same way.
- Unfold the right and left sides and flip the paper over.
05 of 07
Score and Fold
Continue to 6 of 7 below.
- You could use a pencil to lightly mark these lines, these are where we'll be folding.
- Bring the bottom right corner inwards and align it to the horizontal creases and fold only where the line is on the other side.
- Bring the top right corner over to the left and align it the same way, along with the horizontal creases in order to create the crease.
- Fold all the other lines in the same way.
06 of 07
Start Creating the Box
Continue to 7 of 7 below.
- Flip the paper over.
- Fold the bottom left corners in, followed by the section we folded in half earlier.
- Rotate the paper and fold the left and right sides in.
- Open out the box as shown.
07 of 07
Finish the Box
- Flip the bottom section into the top in order to form a box.
- Continue collapsing the box by letting the box fold where the creases are.
- Hold the box together while closing it.
- You could add glue to make the box more sturdy.