01 of 06
Origami Ninja Star Tutorial
Learn how to make an origami ninja star with these easy-to-follow step-by-step instructions. These origami stars make great decorations, statement jewelry pieces such as earrings, and more.
These traditional origami stars are also called Shuriken and resemble the weapon itself. In Japanese, 手裏剣 translates as "sword hidden in the user's hand."
If you use small paper such as a three-inch paper, the result is a small star measuring only 1.8 inches point to point. Using six-inch paper results in a star that is 3.4 inches.
For this simple origami, you'll need two sheets of square paper.
To save on paper, or if your paper is quite thick, use one sheet and cut it in half, starting from step 4.
For another star themed origami, try the Origami Star Dish.Continue to 2 of 6 below.
02 of 06
Continue to 3 of 6 below.
- Start with both sheets of paper side-by-side, and fold the paper in half, top to bottom.
- Unfold the paper.
- Fold the top and bottom edges to the central crease.
- Fold the top edge down to the bottom edge.
03 of 06
Folding the Paper
Continue to 4 of 6 below.
- For the pink paper, fold the top left corner in and down. Fold the bottom right corner in and up.
- For the purple paper, fold the bottom left corner in and up. Fold the top right corner in and down.
- Fold the top right corner down on the pink paper.
- Fold the bottom left corner up on the pink paper.
- The pink one is complete, and you can see the creases that the purple one will have.
04 of 06
Placing the Papers Together
Continue to 5 of 6 below.
- The bottom right corner is folded up.
- The top left corner is folded down.
- Flip the purple one over to the other side and rotate as shown.
- Place the pink one on top of the purple one.
05 of 06
Combining the Papers
Continue to 6 of 6 below.
- Fold the triangle on the right side up diagonally to the left.
- Slot the flap underneath the top pink triangle.
- Repeat on the left flap.
- Flip the model over to the other side.
06 of 06
Completing the Ninja Star
- On the other side, repeat the same process on this side.
- If you have any issues slotting the flaps into the pockets, use a pencil, chopstick, or something pointy to loosen the flap.
- It's done. Next, you can explore more origami ideas and discover your next project.