01 of 06
Origami Ninja Star Tutorial
Learn how to make an origami ninja star with these easy to follow step by step instructions. These origami stars make great decorations, jewellery and more!
These traditional origami stars are also called 'Shuriken' and resemble the weapon itself, In Japanese, 手裏剣 which translates as "sword hidden in user's hand"!
These are great to use as statement jewellery pieces such as earrings.
If you use small paper such as 7.5 x 7.5 cm (3 inch) paper the result is a small star measuring only 4.2 cm (1.8 inch) point to point. Using 15 x 15 cm paper results in a star that is 8.5 cm (3.4 inches).
For this simple origami, you'll need two sheets of square paper.
Or to save on paper, or if your paper is quite thick, use one sheet and cut it in half, starting from step 4.
For another star themed origami, check out Origami Star Dish Instructions.Continue to 2 of 6 below.
02 of 06
Origami Ninja Star Tutorial - Step 1
1. Starting with both sheets of paper side by side is helpful.
Fold the paper in half, top to bottom.
2. Unfold the paper.
3. Fold the top and bottom edges to the central crease.
4. Fold the top edge down to the bottom edge.Continue to 3 of 6 below.
03 of 06
Origami Ninja Star Tutorial - Step 2
I have moved the pink one to the top.
5. Pink one: Fold the top left corner in and down. Fold the bottom right corner in and up.
Purple one: Fold the bottom left corner in and up. Fold the top right corner in a down.
6. Fold the top right corner down on the pink one.
7. Fold the bottom left corner up on the pink one.
8. The pink one is complete, and you can see the creases that the purple one will have.Continue to 4 of 6 below.
04 of 06
Origami Ninja Star Tutorial - Step 3
9. The bottom right corner is folded up.
10. The top left corner is folded down.
11. Flip the purple one over to the other side and rotate as shown.
12. Place the pink one on top of the purple one.Continue to 5 of 6 below.
05 of 06
Origami Ninja Star Tutorial - Step 4
13. Fold the triangle on the right side up diagonally to the left.
14. Slot the flap underneath the top pink triangle.
15. Repeat on the left flap.
16. Flip the model over to the other side.Continue to 6 of 6 below.
06 of 06
Origami Ninja Star Tutorial - Step 5
17. The is the other side.
18. Repeat the same process on this side.
19. If you have any issues slotting the flaps into the pockets, use a pencil, chopstick or something pointy to loosen the flap.
I hope you enjoyed the tutorial!
I run a youtube channel called Paper Kawaii, if you like origami, I think you'd like it so click here to have a look.