01 of 08
Origami Menko Envelope Tutorial
Learn how to make a traditional origami 'Menko' card, which makes a great origami envelope!
It's traditionally used as a card game in Japan, with two players having a set of these cards, one player throws the card to the ground, and his opponent throws his card down trying to flip the first.
This origami uses only one sheet of paper.Continue to 2 of 8 below.
02 of 08
Origami Menko Envelope Tutorial - Step 1
1. Starting white side up.
2. Fold the paper in half diagonally. Unfold.
3. Fold the bottom right corner to rest along the center crease.
4. This should be what you have now.Continue to 3 of 8 below.
03 of 08
Origami Menko Envelope Tutorial - Step 2
5. Pull the top left corner down and to the corner that we created.
6. Flatten the paper and make a small crease at the very top.
7. Unfold the paper.
8. Fold the left edge to the small crease you just created.Continue to 4 of 8 below.
04 of 08
Origami Menko Envelope Tutorial - Step 3
9. Unfold the paper.
10. Fold the right edge to the crease you created in step 8.
11. Unfold and then fold the bottom edge to align with the diagonal crease in the top right section.
12. Fold the top edge down to align with the previous crease.
You should have a grid of 9 equal sections.Continue to 5 of 8 below.
05 of 08
Origami Menko Envelope Tutorial - Step 4
13. Fold the right section over to the left.
14. Fold the top right corner behind.
16. Unfold and do the same thing on the 3 other edges by rotating the paper.Continue to 6 of 8 below.
06 of 08
Origami Menko Envelope Tutorial - Step 5
17. This is what you should be left with.
18. Fold the right side into the left.
19. Push the middle section up as shown.
20. Flatten the bottom section up.Continue to 7 of 8 below.
07 of 08
Origami Menko Envelope Tutorial - Step 6
21. Pull urge bottom left point down.
22. Flatten the bottom section.
23. Pull the left section out.
24. Unfold the top section slightly in order to complete the process.
25 & 26. Flatten the last section.Continue to 8 of 8 below.
08 of 08
Origami Menko Envelope Tutorial - Step 7
27. Flip the model over.
28. Fold the right corner in.
29. Fold the bottom corner up.
30. Fold the left corner in.
31. Fold the top corner in.
32. Insert the top corner inside the right section.
It's now complete, don't worry if yours didn't turn out well the first time, give it another go!
Did you make a square origami menko? Tag #paperkawaii on Instagram so that we can see!
For more tutorials and also video tutorials, check out the youtube channel called Paper Kawaii, also check out some of the websites below if you like.