This puppet is a traditional origami design that not only offers a project for you and your child, but it also brings loads of fun for both of you after the puppet is made.
This origami puppet has a cute cat face, but you can make other animal faces, such as a bat or dog, by drawing a different face, or folding the ears differently. For a fun craft activity for kids, you can decorate these little faces with glitter, sequins, and ribbons. Though this project is kid-friendly, your child may need the help of an adult to make the folds. If your child loves origami, there are plenty of other easy projects you can make together.
Equipment / Tools
- Markers to draw the face
- 1 square piece of 5-inch by 5-inch paper, white on one side, color on the other
- Embellishments such as glitter, sequins, and ribbons (optional)
Origami Finger Puppet Tutorial - Step 1
- Start folding by placing the white side of the paper up towards you. Place your paper so it's a diamond shape with the lower corner pointing towards you.
- Fold the paper in half vertically (the left corner to the right corner) and unfold.
- You will have a crease down the middle.
- Then, fold the paper in half horizontally (the top corner to the bottom corner). Keep it folded that way.
Origami Finger Puppet Tutorial - Step 2
- Fold the right corner down to the bottom center point.
- Fold the left corner down to the bottom center point.
- Fold the right flap up from the center as shown.
- Roughly position the flap with the right edge at a 90-degree angle.
Origami Finger Puppet Tutorial - Step 3
- Fold the left flap in the same way as the right.
- Fold one layer from the bottom section up to the top point.
- Keep one layer down for now.
- Turn the puppet over.
Origami Finger Puppet Tutorial - Step 4
- You will now fold in the edges.
- Fold the left and right edges inward.
- Keep folds crisp.
- Now fold the remaining bottom section up to the top point.
Origami Finger Puppet Tutorial - Step 5
- Fold the top middle point down.
- Fold all the layers of the top middle point down.
- Make the folds crisp.
- Turn the puppet over.
Origami Finger Puppet Tutorial - Step 6
- Now you have a blank face for your puppet.
- Use a marker to draw eyes, nose, whiskers, and mouth.
- Open up the bottom of the puppet so it slips onto your finger.
- Have fun playing puppets!