Origami Finger Puppet Tutorial
This puppet is a traditional origami design that not only offers a project for you and your child, but it also brings loads of fun for both of you after the puppet is made.
This origami puppet has a cute cat face, but you can make other animal faces, such as a bat or dog, by drawing a different face, or folding the ears differently. For a fun craft activity for kids, you can decorate these little faces with glitter, sequins, and ribbons. Though this project is kid-friendly, your child may need the help of an adult to make the folds. If your child loves origami, there are plenty of other easy projects you can make together.
What You'll Need
Equipment / Tools
- Markers to draw the face
- 1 square piece of 5-inch by 5-inch paper, white on one side, color on the other
- Embellishments such as glitter, sequins, and ribbons (optional)
Origami Finger Puppet Tutorial - Step 1
- Start folding by placing the white side of the paper up towards you. Place your paper so it's a diamond shape with the lower corner pointing towards you.
- Fold the paper in half vertically (the left corner to the right corner) and unfold.
- You will have a crease down the middle.
- Then, fold the paper in half horizontally (the top corner to the bottom corner). Keep it folded that way.
Origami Finger Puppet Tutorial - Step 2
- Fold the right corner down to the bottom center point.
- Fold the left corner down to the bottom center point.
- Fold the right flap up from the center as shown.
- Roughly position the flap with the right edge at a 90-degree angle.
Origami Finger Puppet Tutorial - Step 3
- Fold the left flap in the same way as the right.
- Fold one layer from the bottom section up to the top point.
- Keep one layer down for now.
- Turn the puppet over.
Origami Finger Puppet Tutorial - Step 4
- You will now fold in the edges.
- Fold the left and right edges inward.
- Keep folds crisp.
- Now fold the remaining bottom section up to the top point.
Origami Finger Puppet Tutorial - Step 5
- Fold the top middle point down.
- Fold all the layers of the top middle point down.
- Make the folds crisp.
- Turn the puppet over.
Origami Finger Puppet Tutorial - Step 6
- Now you have a blank face for your puppet.
- Use a marker to draw eyes, nose, whiskers, and mouth.
- Open up the bottom of the puppet so it slips onto your finger.
- Have fun playing puppets!