A mobius scarf (also known as an infinity scarf) is an excellent introduction to the concept of Mobius knitting. A Mobius band is a continuous loop that features a slight twist. In addition to scarves, this general shape can be utilized to make shawls, headbands, sweaters, hoods, and more. Fortunately, you don't need to master any difficult skills to make this roundabout scarf. You might have even unknowingly made a Mobius before if you've knit in the round and accidentally twisted your stitches.
Gather the following items before you begin your mobius scarf project:
- One skein of Cascade Yarns ecological wool, or about 165 yards of any bulky-weight yarn of your choice
- One set of size 10.5 US (6.5 mm) circular knitting needles, 24 inches in length
- Stitch marker
- Scissors and yarn needle
Gauge is not critical since this is a loosely fitting garment, but for reference, this example resulted in 14 stitches and 20 rows per 4 inches in the garter stitch eyelet pattern.
The finished Mobius is around 6 inches wide and about 40 inches around.
Making the Mobius
To begin making your infinity scarf, cast on 130 stitches. Join in the round, making sure that there's one full twist in the stitches before you connect the loop. Place a stitch marker to indicate the end of the round.
Once you've cast on and joined your work in the round, it's time to work the pattern. The first row will feel pretty awkward, but after a couple of rounds, it will be less tight, and you will be able to knit with ease.
To work garter stitch in the round, you must remember to knit one round and then purl the next—alternating the stitches as you complete the project.
To begin, knit a round, and then purl a round. Repeat this pattern for a total of four completed rounds.
Starting with purl, alternate a purl round followed by a knit round for the next five rounds—you will end with a purl round.
Repeat the eyelet round from step two.
Repeat steps three and four until piece measures about 5 inches or another width of your choice.
When you're ready to finish the scarf, alternate purl and knit rounds for three more rounds, and then bind off with a final knit round.
Wearing Your Mobius
If you've never worn one before, figuring out how to wear your infinity scarf may be a bit perplexing. You have a few different options with this chunky scarf:
- Wear it straight around your neck like a regular scarf, with the twist at the front or to one side.
- Bring the back edge up over your head for a warm, hooded look before going out in the cold.
- Wrap the mobius twice around your neck—it will be a little snug and very warm if knit with wool.
- Fold the scarf in half before you put it on for a less-bulky look.
- Shimmy the knit down and wear it across your shoulders.