01 of 05
How to Make Paper Beads
The tutorial on the following pages will show you how to make attractive paper beads. When you have made your paper beads, check out this gallery packed full of great ideas for things to make with your newly completed beads.
Paper beads are simple to make and a few rubber stamping techniques are all that is required to make beautiful and unusual beads. The basic technique can be adapted in many ways to achieve different effects. This is also a good way to use up odds and ends of the paper. Even... the most unpromising looking paper can make striking beads.
You don't need to follow a template, however, a simple PDF printable paper bead template is on the following page if required. The paper bead template has been designed specifically for decorating with rubber stamping. Instead of tapering to a point, there is a small strip that is just wide enough to display some rubber stamping. By varying the size and shape of the paper, very different bead designs can be created.
Beads in the Picture
From left to right:
- Bead created from paper that has been stamped, with a row of glitter glue dots along each edge
- Bead created from a scrap of paper that has been colored with alcohol inks and overstamped
- Piece of scrapbooking paper that has been stamped in a complementary colored ink
- Basic paper bead created from a piece of stamped paper
- Bead created from scrapbooking paper and vellum that were stamped and stuck together before rolling
- Bead created from paper used as packaging
- Rubber stamps, inks, embossing powders, glitter glue and any other embellishments
- Craft adhesive, any adhesive suitable for paper will work well
- Thin knitting needle or cocktail sticks
- Diluted PVA glue to seal the beads (optional)
Paper Bead Projects
Continue to 2 of 5 below.
- Paper Bead and Glass Bead Necklace - make a few paper beads and intersperse them with glass beads to make a striking necklace
- Halloween Paper Bead Earrings - these earrings can be adapted for any occasion
- Paper Bead Ornament - make a large paper bead and use this to hang ornaments from or as a decoration in its own right, you could also make a few and string them together to make an unusual garland
02 of 05
Paper Bead Template
Print the PDF template by clicking the link below and then saving the file to your computer. Print onto your desired paper.
- Free Printable Paper Bead Template
See the following pages for details on how to use this free paper bead template.Continue to 3 of 5 below.
03 of 05
Stamp and Decorate the Paper
Stamp and decorate the unprinted side of the paper. This way the printed lines will not show. A rubber stamp with a detailed and intricate design will work well. Repeatedly stamp the rubber stamp over the page to build up a dense design. Cut the bead shapes from the paper.
Tip: Ink the edges of the paper. This will emphasize the design of the bead and give a more 'finished' effect.Continue to 4 of 5 below.
04 of 05
Roll the Paper
Glue the back of the paper and carefully roll the bead. We use a thin knitting needle to roll the bead around, this helps to give a consistent result. Cocktail sticks or other thin and round implements would work equally well.Continue to 5 of 5 below.
05 of 05
Seal the Paper Beads and Finish
Make sure the end of the paper is firmly attached, add an extra dab of glue if required. Leave the beads to one side to dry. I like to seal my paper beads with a coat of diluted PVA glue. This adds strength and gives the paper beads a slight gloss. They could also be finished with a coat of clear varnish, embossed with embossing powders or even coated in resin. Other ideas for sealing the finished beads include coating the beads in melted UTEE or adding a coat of nail varnish.
Add any other... finishing touches such as stick on jewels or other embellishments. Have fun using the beads, add them to earring wires to make earrings or why not thread a few onto some cord or ribbon to make a cute necklace?