Paper beads are simple to make, and a few rubber stamping techniques are all that is required to create beautiful and unusual beads. The basic technique can be adapted in many ways to achieve different effects. This is also an excellent way to use up odds and ends of the paper. Even the most unpromising looking paper can make beautiful beads. Check out this paper bead roundup for things to make with your newly completed beads.
Equipment / Tools
- Thin knitting needle or cocktail sticks
- Rubber stamps, inks, embossing powders, glitter glue, and any other embellishments
- Craft adhesive
- Diluted PVA glue to seal the beads (optional)
Save the PDF Template
Save the PDF template by right-clicking the image and then saving the file to your computer. Print onto your desired paper.
Stamp and Decorate the Paper
Stamp and decorate the unprinted side of the paper, so the printed lines will not show. A rubber stamp with a detailed and intricate design will work well. Repeatedly stamp the rubber stamp over the page to build up a dense design. Cut the bead shapes from the paper.
Roll the Paper
Glue the back of the paper and carefully roll the bead. We used a thin knitting needle to roll the bead around, as this helps to give a consistent result. Cocktail sticks or other thin and round implements would work equally well.
Seal the Paper Beads and Finish
Make sure the end of the paper is firmly attached, adding an extra dab of glue if required. Leave the beads to one side to dry. Once dry, add any other finishing touches such as stick-on jewels or other embellishments.
Paper Bead Projects
- Paper Bead and Glass Bead Necklace: Make a few paper beads and intersperse them with glass beads to make a striking necklace.
- Halloween Paper Bead Earrings: These earrings can be adapted for any occasion.
- Paper Bead Ornament: Make a large paper bead and use this to hang ornaments from or as a decoration in its own right. You could also make a few and string them together to create an unusual garland.