How to Make Origami Lucky Stars!
Learn how to make a lovely little origami lucky star - sometimes called 'wishing stars' with this easy to follow step by step tutorial in diagram format.
These origami lucky stars are very cute and easy to make. This time - instead of square paper, we'll be using long strips of paper.
You can buy special paper specifically for these origami puffy stars. But it's super easy just to make your own paper strips.
Get some printer paper, A4 or letter paper and cut along the long edge of the paper, it would be better to use a neat cutting tool such as a knife and board, or a paper cutter like this one. But using scissors will do just fine!
The thicker the strips, the bigger the star will be, but you want to make sure that you have enough length. 1-3 cm strips are recommended. The length is good to be 20 or more cm.
How to Make Origami Lucky Stars! - Step 1
1. Start with your strip of paper colour side up. Bring the right end of the paper over and down.
2. Bring the bottom end up and over the left end.
3. Now that you have a loop, feed the top end behind and through the hole.
4. Continue to pull the end through the loop, also pull the bottom end to tighten the knot.
Helpful tip: spend as much time as is needed to make the pentagon as neat and tight as possible, this will ensure your little origami lucky stars will turn out well!
How to Make Origami Lucky Stars! - Step 2
5. Keep wiggling and pulling the knot tighter, flattening it at the same time.
6. This is the result. The coloured end on the left should be much longer than the end on the right. Fold the excess end behind. You do not need to cut it off but you can do if it's too long.
7. Fold the end on the left behind, keeping the bottom edge aligned with the bottom edge of the shape in the center.
8. Continue wrapping the pentagon. Fold the strip on top, over to the top left.
How to Make Origami Lucky Stars! - Step 3
9. Again wrapping the pentagon, fold the strip down behind to the bottom.
10. Fold the strip up and over to the right.
11. Fold the strip over behind to the left and continue until you only have a small section left.
12. If your strip is just a bit too long, cut it or tear it off.
How to Make Origami Lucky Stars! - Step 4
13. Now you can insert the end of the strip inside the pocket.
14. Now it's time to inflate the star! Get your index finger and thumb and pinch in one of the points of the star.
15. Rotate the star and do the same on all of the points.
16. You can get different results by pinching more or less at this stage.
Remember that the first attempt may not come out as well as expected. Give it a few more tries if you can! This quick video tutorial will help you if you are having trouble.