01 of 07
Make an Origami Crow for Halloween
Learn how to make a simple traditional origami crow. This origami bird could also be a raven, blackbird or another type of bird. What's nice about this origami bird is how it stands up.
This origami crow makes a perfect decoration for Halloween! You could also decorate a Halloween greetings card with this little origami bird.
You will need one sheet of square paper (preferably black on both sides) for this traditional origami crow.Continue to 2 of 7 below.
02 of 07
Continue to 3 of 7 below.
- Start with your paper white side up if you have one, however this origami crow works best if you use paper that is the same color on both sides.
- Fold your paper in half, from left to right and unfold, Next fold it in half top to bottom and unfold.
- Flip the paper to the other side.
- Fold the paper in half diagonally in both directions. You will be left with an X on your paper.
03 of 07
Bring in the Corners
Continue to 4 of 7 below.
- Flip your paper back to the other side.
- Bring the left and right corners into the middle.
- The top point will collapse down on top.
- This should be what you have. This is called an origami 'square base' or 'preliminary base'.
04 of 07
Make the Base
Starting with your origami square base you will be going on to create an 'origami bird base'.
Continue to 5 of 7 below.
- Fold the lower left and right edges to the central crease as shown.
- Next, fold the top down over the top.
- Unfold the sides, this is what you should have.
- Now you will be reversing the left and right creases you just made.
- Open out the lower section and reverse the folds, bringing the bottom point up to the top.
05 of 07
Form the Legs
Your paper should now look like the first photo in the group above.
Continue to 6 of 7 below.
- Repeat the process on the other side. This is the completed origami bird base.
- Fold the two bottom points up the central horizontal crease. These will form the legs.
- Fold them both down and out to opposite sides.
06 of 07
Create the Feet
Continue to 7 of 7 below.
- Unfold the last step and reverse fold the feet.
- Your paper should look like the second photo in the group above.
- Flip the top section of the 'foot' down.
- Repeat the last few steps on the other 'foot'.
07 of 07
- Fold the top down.
- Flip the model over to the other side, from left to right.
- Fold the model in half. Your photo should look like the first photo in the bottom row of photos above.
- Fold the 'head' down to a good angle.
- Open out the top and reverse the fold there.
Now your traditional origami crow is finished.
You can stand him up on a ledge as long as there is room for his tail! If you're looking for more origami birds to make you can also make an Albatross or Peace Dove. These work well as decorations, fun little gifts to friends or family, or as embellishments on greeting cards.