01 of 10
How To Make A Dr. Seuss Diaper Cake
Consider making a diaper cake with these easy directions provided here. The best thing about my Dr. Seuss diaper cake or any other cake made out of nappies is that not only is it a unique baby shower decoration, it can also double as an interactive baby shower game.Continue to 2 of 10 below.
02 of 10
Gathering The Supplies to Make Your Diaper Cake
Gather all your supplies before starting.
- Disposable Diapers (I used about 80 in a size 1)
- Rubber Bands or Twine
- A Platter or Plate (To hold the diaper cake)
- Scissors (Needed if you use twine)
To decorate your diaper cake, use ribbon or even pieces of fabric, a hot glue gun and safety pins. Also gather small items you might use for a baby such as a bottle of travel size baby shampoo, a bib, a pacifier, a baby spoon and a nose aspirator.
You can see the complete list of items I used for... decoration in step 10.Continue to 3 of 10 below.
03 of 10
How to Roll a Diaper to Make a Diaper Cake
The first thing step to construct your diaper cake is to roll the diapers. Lay the diaper, front side up, on your work surface. Start at the top edge of the diaper and roll the diaper tightly towards the folded edge. Once the diaper is rolled tightly, wrap a rubber band around it or tie it tightly with a piece of twine. Make sure the rubber band/twine is in the center of the diaper.Continue to 4 of 10 below.
04 of 10
How Many Diapers Do You Need For a Diaper Cake?
Use the technique in step 3 to roll several diapers. The number of diapers you need depends on how large you want your diaper cake to be. I used about 80 diapers in a size 1. You can either roll several dozen diapers to start with or keep the diapers and rubber bands/twine handy.Continue to 5 of 10 below.
05 of 10
Start Constructing Your Diaper Cake
Set your platter or plate in front of you. Grab seven diapers and a larger rubber band or piece of twine. Hold the seven diapers together and stretch the rubber band around them all (or tie them together with twine).
Set this grouping of diapers in the center of your plate and get ready to add more...Continue to 6 of 10 below.
06 of 10
Adding More Diapers to Your Diaper Cake
Add more diapers to the base of your diaper cake. One at a time, slip a new diaper into the rubber band that is holding your original seven diapers together. If you do not have a rubber band that is big enough or if you are using twine, carefully set the diapers in place around your original grouping. Use as many pieces of twine, wrapped around the entire grouping, as needed to hold the diapers in place.Continue to 7 of 10 below.
07 of 10
Finishing Your Diaper Cake Base
Continue adding more diapers around the base of your diaper cake until it fills the plate. Tuck in extra diapers, or remove extra diapers, until your base has a nice round shape.
Make sure all of the rubber bands/twine are wrapped around the center of the diapers so they will be hidden by the ribbon.Continue to 8 of 10 below.
08 of 10
How to Make the Diaper Cake's Second Level
Start out the second layer of the cake the same way you started the first level. Hold together seven diapers and stretch a rubber band/twine around them all. Continue adding diapers until your second layer is about one diaper roll width smaller than your diaper cake base.Continue to 9 of 10 below.
09 of 10
How to Make the Top of the Diaper Cake
The top of my diaper cake was made with seven diapers in the same way that you constructed the base. Set this grouping of diapers on top of the diaper cake and your basic diaper cake is done.Continue to 10 of 10 below.
10 of 10
Ideas for Decorating Your Diaper Cake
The best part of making a diaper cake is decorating it! My daughter's baby shower had a Dr. Seuss theme so I used that idea to decorate the diaper cake. Besides baby care items, I found specific Dr. Seuss items to use as decoration.
Irrespective of the colors and theme, you need a ribbon that is at least 2 inches wide, a hot glue gun and safety pins. Wrap pieces of ribbon around each layer of the diaper cake. This will not only add a splash of color to the cake, it will also cover all of the... rubber bands/twine.
We used the diaper cake I made as a baby shower game. We decorated with a variety of baby items--some were stuck in between the diapers, some were pinned around the the ribbon (I tied a smaller ribbon bow around the item and used a safety pin to attach it to the diaper cake), and some even replaced diapers in the cake (carefully slip out one diaper and slip in the item such as a rolled bib, baby bottle, etc.).
To play the game, make sure the diaper cake is proudly displayed at the shower. We placed ours on the gift table where everyone could see it. First, I covered the entire diaper cake with a Dr. Seuss receiving blanket. I had all the guests write numbers 1-30 on a blank piece of paper. They then had five minutes to write down 30 baby-related items used on the diaper cake. The person who got the most correct won a prize!
Here are the 30 items I used on the diaper cake game:
- Diapers (compare prices)
- Safety Pins (Used to attach some of the items to the diaper cake but might not be obvious to baby shower guests) (compare prices)
- Dr. Seuss Receiving Blanket (Used to cover the diaper cake!) (compare prices)
- Cat In The Hat Stuffed Animal (This was the cake topper. To get it to sit on the top of the cake, I simply stuck a 1/4" dowel down through the cake layers and then slid the back of the bow around the Cat's neck over the dowel) (compare prices)
- Small Dr. Seuss Book (compare prices)
- Thing One and Thing Two Finger Puppets (compare prices)
- Baby Spoon (compare prices)
- Dr. Seuss Bib (compare prices)
- Dr. Seuss Washcloth (compare prices)
- Onesie (compare prices)
- Baby Mitts (compare prices)
- Socks (compare prices)
- Rattle (compare prices)
- Pacifier (compare prices)
- Bottle (compare prices)
- Nail Clipper (compare prices)
- Nasal Aspirator (compare prices)
- Hair Bow (compare prices)
- Breast Pads (compare prices)
- Diaper Bag Hook (compare prices)
- Baby Brush (compare prices)
- Baby Comb (compare prices)
- Thermometer (compare prices)
- Teething Ring (compare prices)
- Desitin (travel size) (compare prices)
- Baby Shampoo (travel size) (compare prices)
- Baby Lotion (travel size) (compare prices)
- Baby Powder (travel size) (compare prices)
- Q-Tips (travel size) (compare prices)
- Baby Wipes (travel size) (compare prices)