Large quilt block patterns can be used in many ways. The most obvious use is to sew a big block quilt that (often) goes together more quickly than a quilt made from (lots more) smaller quilt blocks.
Try one or more big quilt blocks to sew throw pillow covers that coordinate with the color scheme for any room in your home. Use an oversize quilt block to create a medallion style quilt -- some are perfect for on-point layouts as well as horizontal settings.
Very large quilt blocks might be the perfect solution when you sew a wallhanging -- all you need is a single block surrounded by borders.
Brainstorm ideas and I know you'll discover many ways to use these oversize quilt blocks.
All blocks are listed with their finished sizes.
30" - 35" Quilt Blocks
- Weeping Willow Quilt Block Pattern (30" design with an Art Deco look)
- Bear's Paw Quilt Block Pattern (35" and 14" versions of this all-time favorite quilt block)
20" - 25" Quilt Blocks
- Arrow Crown Quilt Block Pattern (24", shown in the photo)
- All Hallows Quilt Block Pattern (24", a star quilt block design that really doesn't resemble its name)
- Christmas Star Quilt Block Pattern (20" and a good candidate for Christmas quilts, but not truly Christmas themed, so the star-in-a-star design works for any purpose)
- Goose in the Pond Quilt Block Pattern (22-1/2", a design that includes triangles and straight-sided patchwork units)
- Handy Andy Quilt Block Pattern (20" - I love this design and its many layout possibilities)
- Mosaic Pinwheels Quilt Block Pattern (24" - you can create double spin with this unique quilt block)
- Summertime Baskets Blocks (20" and 10" blocks are perfect on-point)
- Summer Winds Quilt Block Pattern (24" - a chain type block that helps you link designs along both diagonals)
15" - 19" Quilt Blocks
- Broken Branch Quilt Block Pattern (15" - not a 'branch,' but a block that seems more floral to me)
- Broken Dishes Quilt Block Pattern (15" - a traditional quilt block pattern that helps you use your half square triangle units)
- Checkerboard Flower Basket Blocks (16" design that's nice either on-point or in a straight setting)
- Double Hourglass Quilt Blocks (18" - another block that's beginner-friendly)
- Kentucky Cross Roads (17" - try this to create blocks with a square center and patchwork that points diagonally in four directions)
- Linton's Quilt Blocks (15" traditional quilt block released originally by Ladies' Art Company)
- Mosaic Sunbonnet Girl Blocks (an 18" design for sunbonnet girl fans)
- Mosaic Boy Quilt Block Pattern (an 18" block that's perfect when sewn with the girl mosaic)
- Mother's Fancy Star (15" - excellent for patriotic quilts but can be themed in any way)
- Oddfellows Chain Blocks (16" blocks that are filled with lots of quick-pieced patchwork)
- Oddfellows Star Quilt Block Pattern (16" and similar to Oddfellows Chain -- you'll find many ways to vary its appearance)
- Premium Star Quilt Block Pattern (15" - this design is very similar to Bear's Paw)
- Wishing Ring Quilt Block Pattern (15" - try Wishing Ring when you're looking for a five-patch quilt block)
14" Quilt Block Patterns
- Crossed Square Quilt Blocks (14", and a very easy block with lots of design options)
- Lincoln's Platform Quilt Block Pattern (14", a very easy quilt block that's surrounded by a patchwork frame)
- Little Chicken with Heart (the actual block finishes at 14" square, but instructions explain how to make a 24" square quilt with one patchwork border an outer solid border)
- Picnic Time Quilt Block Pattern (14" - a very simple quilt block)
- Tea Rose Quilt Block Pattern (14" - not truly a rose, but a gorgeous quilt block that's perfect either themed or scrappy)
- Tudor Rose (14", a unique design that doesn't really resemble a rose)
More Quilt and Quilt Block Patterns
The quilt blocks above all finish at 14" square or more, but they represent just a few of the hundreds of quilt and quilt block patterns you'll find on the quilting Website.
Browse my pattern archives to find more, all sorted into galleries that display thumbnail previews to help you choose a pattern that you love.