Sometimes it can be difficult to get a guy to wear a knit hat, but there's just something about ribbing that makes it a little more palatable.
This easy knit wool hat is great for men and women who want a simple, stretchy, warm hat that is a little more interesting than a plain old Stockinette or Garter Stitch hat but also that isn't too fancy or cute.
- 150 yards of any bulky, thick and thin, 100 percent wool yarn
- One size 9 US circular needle with a 16-inch cable
- One pair size 9 US double-pointed needles, to switch to when needed
- Stitch marker, if desired
- Yarn needle
22 stitches and 22 rows per four inches (5 1/2 stitches and 5 1/2 rows per inch) in Double Rib.
Unstretched, the hat is about 20 inches around; gently stretched it is 24 inches around. Length is about 9 inches. Will fit a man or a woman (fold over excess length, or knit shorter as desired).
- Cast on 108 stitches. Join in round, being careful not to twist stitches. Slip on a stitch marker if desired to mark the end of the row.
- Knit in knit 2, purl 2 ribbing for 8 inches. (For a woman, try 7 inches.)
- *Knit 2, purl 2 together. Repeat from * around.
- Work in knit 2, purl 1 ribbing for four rounds.
- *Knit 2 together, purl 1. Repeat from * around.
- Knit 1, purl 1 around.
- *Knit two together. Repeat from * around. Repeat this row.
- Cut yarn, thread onto yarn needle. Slip stitches onto yarn needle and pull tight. Weave in ends.