01 of 04
A Halloween costume needs to be safe as well as fun. Lighting up angel wings, butterfly wings, Christmas Tree costumes and other costumes for a dark night of trick or treating not only makes it a novel costume, it keeps the costume very visible.
On all steps NEVER pierce the light wires with a sewing needle!
- Costume made from fleece or non fraying fabric OR a sewing machine that has an eyelet stitch.
- A set (or more depending on the size of the costume) of Battery Powered LED Christmas... Lights - and batteries. Test the string before you begin! (See Note below)
- Hand sewing needle and thread
- Eyelet cutting tool
- Sticky back hook and loop tape.
- Possibly- paint to color the wires depending upon the costume.
Christmas Tree Costume DirectionsContinue to 2 of 4 below.
02 of 04
Placement of the Lights
Continue to 3 of 4 below.
- Turn the costume inside out and lay out the lights to decide where the lights will land on the costume. Using safety pins to "baste the wires is helpful.
- Mark where the lights land.
03 of 04
Holes for the LightsMake holes for the lights
- On a non fraying fabric cut holes at the marks with an eyelet tool.
- On fraying fabric, sew eyelets at the light markings and then cut out the center of the eyelet.
- Another possibility for making holes for the lights is to carefully melt holes with the tip of a hot glue gun if the fabric melts easily.
Continue to 4 of 4 below.
- Create holes for all of the light marks.
04 of 04
Sewing the Wires to the Costume & attaching Battery Pack
- Using a hand sewing needle and thread, whip stitch the wires to the costume. Large basting stitches are fine. Your goal is to hold the wires in place enough to survive getting the costume on and off and a night of fun. Keep the stitches tiny in the fabric if they will show through on the right side of the fabric.
- Tack the wires to the fabric on both sides of the lights to keep it held in the hole.
- Apply sticky backed hook and loop tape to the back of the battery pack and to... an inconspicuous but accessible place on the inside of the costume.
- Insert batteries and enjoy the night!