The internet abounds with Indiana Jones costumes, from eBay to Amazon to your local costume shop. That's because Indiana Jones Franchise actor Harrison Ford epitomized the handsome, adventurous, rugged but tender male ideal that many men aspire to be. Not surprisingly, year-after-year, the Indiana Jones costume is one of the hottest costumes for guys who want to make an impact, without a lot of fuss.
However, why go to a costume or theatrical store, or search online for that matter, if you can just as easily (for a lot less cost) go DIY.
Indiana Jones is one of the easiest costumes to put together because it consists of only six design elements, topped off by the right make-up.
For inspiration, I suggest you check out Pinterest and Instagram which both a wide variety of Indiana Jones photos.
Here's what you'll need to pull off the look:
- The Hat – Take yourself over to the thrift store and pick up any fabric hat that has a brim. You shouldn't have any trouble finding an appropriate hat because while wearing a hat never goes out of style, male fedoras have become very on-trend the past few years. Don’t worry if the hat you find is the wrong color. You can pick up an inexpensive brown dye for a cheap fix. Tip: because the hat is instrumental to the look, start looking or the hat first, in case you need to visit more than one thrift shop.
- The Whip – Turn a jump rope into a whip. Pull off one handle of any jump rope. Spray paint the entire jump rope a dark brown color, and voila, you have a whip.
- The Shirt – Choose a beige or white button-down shirt. Button it only partway up the chest and make sure it's tucked into your pants. If you want to add some authenticity, try crumbling a clean shirt. To achieve this look, simply wash (or wet) the shirt and then hang dry without ironing.
- The Pants – Any tan or brown cargo pants will work just fine but they should not fit too tightly.
- The Boots – Wear any pair of tall, brown work boots that you have in your closet. If you don’t own any, lots of thrift shops sell boots. The key is that the boots be brown, and here again, if you find your size in a light color, just dye them brown.
- The Jacket – Indiana wears a brown leather jacket, but it is also removed for plenty of scenes in the Indiana Jones movie, so don't fret. You don't have to run out and buy an expensive jacket. If you don't have a leather jacket, just go with the shirt instead.
- The Face – You want to look like you've been dodging boulders in a cave. And that means foregoing the clean-shaven look. Use a rough sponge and brown makeup to recreate that sexy stubble. Add a few streaks of ‘dirt’ around the temples, cheekbones, and just under the jawline. You can ask for a friend or family member to help with the makeup if this is unfamiliar territory, or simply experiment a little on your own.
Whether you want to channel Harrison Ford in Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Temple of Doom, or The Kingdom of the Crystal Skul, as you can see, it's easy to look like a leading man with very little effort or expense.