Forget about paying for fire starters. You can make all the fire starters you need for free.
Time Required: 15 minutes or less
What You Need
- Dryer Lint
- Cardboard Egg Cartons
- Candle Wax (old candles work great)
- Fill each cup of the egg carton with dryer lint.
- Melt the wax in a double boiler.
- Pour the wax over top of the lint.
- Allow the wax to cool and harden. Then, cut the egg carton up to create 12 fire starters.
To use: Simply place a fire starter in your fireplace (or firepit) with your kindling and light. The wax will keep the starter going long enough to ignite your kindling.
- Be sure to cover your work surface, before you start.
- You can use sawdust from non-pressure-treated wood in place of the dryer lint, or broken crayons in place of the candle wax. There's plenty of room to improvise.
- Fire starters make great gifts. Make a bunch, and you'll be all set for Christmas.
More Ways to Make Fire Starters
You can also make fire starters by stuffing toilet paper rolls with lint and rolling them with newspaper. Pine cone fire starters are still another option. Go for a walk to collect a bunch.