01 of 08
Learn how to make a pretty origami heart from a rectangular sheet of paper - or a dollar note! These easy to make paper hearts are great to use as Valentine's Day cards!Continue to 2 of 8 below.
02 of 08
Paper size: a Dollar bill, 6.62 x 16 cm - Other Sizes: 15 x 6.2 cm or 20 x 8.3 cm
For more paper sizes, check out the origami size ratio calculator.
1. Start with your paper with the white side up (if you have one).
2. Fold the bottom left and bottom right corners up diagonally.
3. Unfold the last step.
4. Next, fold the top left corner and top right corner down diagonally.Continue to 3 of 8 below.
03 of 08
5. Unfold the last step.
6. Flip the paper over to the other side.
7. Fold the right edge to the left, the crease should run straight through the middle of the X.
8. Unfold the last step and do the same with the left edge.
Origami tip: Make sure you are making your folds as precise as possible, especially the first few folds, this will ensure that your origami model turns out well!Continue to 4 of 8 below.
04 of 08
9. Unfold the last step.
10. Flip the paper back over to the other side.
11. Bring both edges to the middle, folding the top and bottom sections forward at the same time. Crease well and make sure all the edges line up.
12. Fold the right point over to the left point.Continue to 5 of 8 below.
05 of 08
13. Fold the top right corner diagonally down to the left, and repeat on the bottom right corner.
14. Fold the left point (top layer) back over to the right, along the vertical edges of the little corners you just created.
15. Now on the right-hand section, fold the top point down across to meet the right point and the bottom point to meet the right point. Repeat this on the left-hand side.
16. This is the result.Continue to 6 of 8 below.
06 of 08
17. Now you are going to squash fold the flaps you just made by carefully opening them out a little, and pushing them gently, aiming the point at the middle.
18. Go around and make the squash fold on all four flaps.
19. Next, make two folds on a front square as shown.
20. Repeat this process on the other squares.Continue to 7 of 8 below.
07 of 08
21. Next we have some more squash folds, this time it the little flaps you just made. Open them out a little and carefully push them open, aligning them to the lines underneath.
22. Repeat the squash folds until they are all complete.
23. Flip the paper over to the other side. Fold the top point down to the bottom point and crease well.
24. You should see the top of the heart remains at the top.Continue to 8 of 8 below.
08 of 08
Finish Folding Your Heart
25. Lastly, you can fold the left and right edges in slightly, flip the heart over to the front and you are done!
You may want to use a dab of glue on each of the 'spikes' to keep them down. You can also make this origami dollar heart with thicker paper, and insert a coin into the circle, behind the spikes. The coin will stay in place. This makes a great gift for kids!