When it comes to dressing up like Santa, making your own costume far outweighs the potential cost of renting. First of all, you don't know what the person before you did in that rented Santa suit. Second, a Santa suit is simply comprised of a jacket, pants and a hat. You can salvage a pair of black boots and a black belt from anywhere. Steal some jingle bells form the tree and you are good to go.
Believe it or not, I could only find online how-to's that tell you what to buy to 'put together' a good Santa costume. There were no direct instructions on making the jacket, hat and pants. I'll have to post my own complete step-by-step tutorial soon. Until then, here are a few how-to's on throwing together that perfect Santa get-up.
- Make a Father Christmas Costume - Father Christmas, Santa, same dif. This tutorial gives you a few ideas on where to get your materials and suggests using no-sew tape instead of stitching.
- Make a Santa Hoodie - Not exactly a Santa uniform, but a festive get-up for those informal holiday parties.
- This video from Expert Village talks about selecting the right Santa suit: How to Pick a Santa Suit
- This Cut Out & Keep article tells us how to make a Santa Hat
- Want to crochet a Santa Hat? Try these instructions from Girl in Air
- Make a Santa Coat out of an old hoodie with Everything Christmas
- If I know dogs, they'll want to get into the act, too. Learn how to crochet a Santa coat for small dogs with this video from Mickeyssmail.
- Do you have a Santa costume tutorial? Post below and we'll add it to the list.
- Sign up for the DIY Fashion Newsletter