If you're looking for a new way to keep the kids distracted on a rainy day you then puffy paint is perfect for you. This simple recipe for how to create your own 'soft and squishy' paint that is not only fun to paint with but looks cool once it dries.
One of the coolest things about puffy paint is that it can peel right off the page and maintain its shape. You can use puffy paint for things like window decorations and clings.
This recipe will help you make lots of unique crafts and gifts.
This recipe is safe and inexpensive to make at home. There's a good chance you have everything you need to make puffy paint in your home right now. All you need is some shaving cream, Elmer's white glue, and a little food coloring! The fun texture will give you and your kids hours of fun.
How to Make Shaving Cream Paint
- Age Guideline: 2 years and up
- Time Required: 15 minutes (Does not include drying time)
This project can be modified to suit other ages and may take more or less time depending on your circumstances. Remember you should always supervise young children while making puffy paint. It should not be consumed.
- Shaving cream
- Elmer's white glue
- Food coloring
- Put down newspaper to protect your working area against spills. Wearing an apron is also a good idea.
- Mix equal parts of shaving cream and Elmer's glue.
- Add food coloring, a few drops at a time until you get the desired color. It can be as dark or as light as you want. Mixing primary colors will allow you to make any color in the rainbow. Be careful not to get any food coloring on your clothes because it may stain.
- Apply the glue to heavy paper (you could also use shapes cut out of tag board) using a sponge brush.
- Let the painting dry.
Projects to Make with Puffy Paint
- Window Clings: Add puffy paint to wax paper in small shapes and designs. Let the paint dry overnight and then you can peel off the puffy paint and it will stay in its shape. You can place them on the window and they make super fun window decorations. These are great to do for holidays!
- Puffy Paint Shirts: Add puffy paint to t-shirts or sweatshirts in fun and cute designs. Let the paint dry overnight on the clothing, then it will be time to wear it in style. Be sure to hand wash only.
- Puffy Paint Greeting Cards: Add a little puffy paint to a folded greeting card to add a cool 3D look. Kids will love to make different shapes and creations with puffy paint and then gift their cards to friends and loved ones.