Start by using these directions to make your drum, and then form your marching band by getting everyone you know to make one also.
- Age Guideline: 5 Years and Up
- Time Required: 15 minutes (Does not include drying time)
The above age and time guidelines are estimates. This project can be modified to suit other ages and may take more or less time depending on your circumstances.
- Oatmeal box or any can that has a lid
- Paper bag
- Construction paper
- Crayons, markers, or paint
- Cellophane tape or craft glue
- Rubber band
- Cut a piece of construction paper to fit around the can so that it is completely covered. Draw or paint different designs and shapes on it and then tape or glue it onto a can.
- Cut a circle out of the paper bag, about 2-inches bigger than the can lid. Crumple up your circle and roll it around in your hands to soften and wrinkle it, so it looks like old leather. Put the lid on the can and squeeze a few drops of glue onto the lid. Flatten out your paper bag circle and center it over the lid. Hold it in place while you secure it with a rubber band.
- Let the glue dry, and your drum will be done. Play it like a bongo using your hands or use a spoon as a drumstick.