In 1794 the half-cent was redesigned and Ms. Liberty is now facing right. The Phrygian, or liberty cap, is extended on a pole behind her head. Since production facilities were still very crude, and each die was cut by hand, many varieties exist within this issue. The two main varieties are a "normal relief" and a "high relief" head on the obverse. Total production was limited to approximately 81,000 coins.
Coin Values and Prices:
|Issuing Government||United States of America|
|Denomination||$0.005 (Half Cent)|
|Coinage Type||Liberty Cap - Large Head Right Facing|
|Mint Mark Location||No mint marks were used in this series.|
|Actual Gold Weight (AGW)||0.0000 Troy Ounces|
|Actual Silver Weight (ASW)||0.0000 Troy Ounces|
|Actual Platinum Weight (APW)||0.0000 Troy Ounces|
|Edge Type||Lettered: TWO HUNDRED FOR A DOLLAR|
|Obverse Description||Liberty facing to the right, with LIBERTY above and the date below. Behind her flowing hair is a liberty cap on a pole. The edge is a series of denticles or indentations.|
|Obverse Designer||Robert Scot|
|Reverse Description||HALF CENT at the center, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and 1/200, wreath with a bow|
|Reverse Designer||Robert Scot|
|(Krause-Mishler Catalog No.)||14|
Production Years, Mints and Types
The Liberty Cap Half Cent, Large Head Right Facing was minted as indicated in the following table. The table lists the years, strike type, mint facility where made, the mint mark used on the coin and a description of any type differences in coins minted for that year.
Errors and Varieties
The following are popular errors and varieties that Liberty Cap Half Cent collectors look for. These coins usually carry a premium and are valued above a common coin. But some collectors believe as varieties are actually due to planchet and striking anomalies.
The following table lists mint production numbers for the number of Liberty Cap - Large Head Right Facing produced at each mint facility. Where possible, production numbers by strike type are noted.
Suggested Books on Liberty Cap - Large Head Right Facing
- Walter Breen's Encyclopedia of United States Half Cents, 1793-1857; Walter Breen; Publisher: American Institute of Numismatic Research; First Printing edition (1983); ISBN-10: 0911021000; ISBN-13: 978-0911021004
- The Cherrypickers' Guide to Rare Die Varieties, 5th Edition, Volume 1; Fivaz, Bill and J.T. Stanton; Publisher: Whitman Publishing, Atlanta (2009); ISBN-13: 978-0794822859
- American Half Cents: the "Little Half Sisters"; Roger S Cohen; Publisher: Wigglesworth & Ghatt Co. (1982)
- Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins; Walter Breen; Publisher: Doubleday; 1 edition (May 1, 1988); ISBN-13: 978-0385142076
- The Half Cent Die State Book 1793-1857; Ronald P. Manley, J.R. Grellman Jr.; Publisher: pub. By author; 1ST edition (1998)