Coin collectors are a very particular group to buy a gift for. Of course you could buy a tie with coins on it or a belt buckle emblazoned with a Morgan silver dollar. But a personal gift shows thought and consideration. For any holiday, birthday, special occasion, or any size budget, here are twenty gift ideas that are sure to please your favorite coin collector.
01 of 06
The Red Book
The Guide Book of United States Coins is known to most coin collectors as "The Red Book," and it is updated annually. This quintessential coin book is a favorite of every collector of United States coins. I recommend this as the first book every new coin collector should get, and an updated copy for every "seasoned" coin collector.
This guide book of United States coins has been continuously published since 1947. Every year it keeps expanding with new coins and new content. It covers every issue of United States coins from early colonial issues through modern coins, popular U.S. pattern coins, bullion coins, and collector sets. There are three variations of this standard catalog of United States coins:
- The Standard Edition Red Book - for intermediate and seasoned collectors; Est. Price: $13.95
- Professional Edition Red Book - for advanced collectors (especially those with larger coin collecting budgets); Est. Price: $29.95
- Deluxe Edition Red Book - for advanced collectors only; Est. Price: $49.95
02 of 06
Proof Set or Mint Set from a Noteworthy Year
What better way to remember a remarkable year in coin collector's life than receiving a mint set or Proof set from that year. Maybe it is the year he was born, the birth of a child, anniversary year, job promotion, the first year in business, or any other year where a significant event occurred.
Prices for mint sets and proof sets vary widely depending upon a given year. Some private companies have assembled coin sets and mass-marketed them through television and magazines. However, your best value is to stick with coin sets issued by the United States Mint. Since a majority of these sets sell for under fifty dollars, you can buy them without worry through a reputable coin dealer over the Internet. Remember to use a price and value guides to determine what coin set is within your budget.
Note: You can check the current prices of this years Mint Sets and Proof Sets at the United States Mint's website located at https://catalog.usmint.gov/
03 of 06
100 Greatest Books
Coin collectors love to look at coins. The "100 Greatest" series of coin books published from Whitman Publishing features large, eye-catching, high-resolution detailed photos. The pages are filled with background, history, and value information. The eye-popping photos are sure to captivate any coin collector. Additionally, each featured coin has some history and background information to bring the coin to life. These coffee-table sized books are sure to captivate any coin collector for months to come. You can choose from the following books:
04 of 06
American Eagle Bullion Coins
The United States Mint has produced bullion coins since 1986. They have issued bullion coins in silver, gold, platinum, and palladium. For the obverse of each coin, the United States Treasury Department selected classic United States coin designs. Both their beauty and their bullion value make these excellent gifts and investment opportunities. Additionally, there have been two books written on how to collect these coins. Depending on your gift-giving budget, you can select either the coins or the books for your favorite coin collector.
- American Eagle One Ounce Silver Proof Coin; Est. Price: $60.95
- American Eagle One-Tenth Ounce Gold Proof Coin; Est. Price: $210.00
- American Eagle One-Quarter Ounce Gold Proof Coin; Est. Price: $397.50
- American Eagle One-Half Ounce Gold Proof Coin; Est. Price: $870.00
- American Eagle One Ounce Gold Uncirculated Coin; Est. Price: $1,975.00
- American Eagle One Ounce Platinum Proof Coin; Est. Price: $1,600.00
- American Eagle One Ounce Palladium Proof Coin; Est. Price: $1,600.00
Note: Please refer to the United States Mint's website for current pricing information. It is located at https://catalog.usmint.gov/ .
Continue to 5 of 6 below.
- American Silver Eagles: A Guide to the U.S. Bullion Coin Program; Est. Price: $30.00
- American Gold and Platinum Eagles: a Guide to the U.S. Bullion Coin Programs; Est. Price: $30.00
05 of 06
Gift Certificate or Store Credit
Since most coin collectors are very particular about the coins that they purchase, you can give them their next coin in the form of a gift certificate or store credit from their favorite coin dealer. Some coin dealers have gift certificates which you can purchase and wrap as a present to put under the tree. Some smaller dealers will give you a store credit so your coin collector can come in to purchase their next coin. Also, an eBay gift certificate can be used to purchased coins and an Amazon gift certificate can be used to purchase coin books. Anyway you look at it, gift certificates are always the right size.
- Gift Certificate from a local or online coin dealer; Est. Price: Any Thing You Want!
06 of 06
Coin Collecting Supplies
Every coin collector knows you cannot have enough coin holders, folders, gizmos, and gadgets. So if you are on a limited budget or you just don't know what to get them, purchase some coin collecting supplies that will last throughout the whole year.
- Essential Coin Collecting Supplies For Every Collector; Est. Price: $3.00 - $50.00
- Intermediate and Advanced Coin Collecting Supplies; Est. Price: $20.00 - $200.00