Eight-inch-square quilt blocks are a wonderful size for any project, from baby quilts to wall hangings to bed quilts. Why? Because they are (usually) constructed from patchwork pieces that are not too large and work perfectly with quilts of any scale. Below you'll find patterns for making your own quilt blocks and ideas for fun things to do with them.
Make a Sampler Quilt with the Quilt Blocks
Many eight-inch quilt blocks are four patch designs that can be easily combined to create a sampler quilt. You don't need a specific sampler quilt layout pattern to sew a unique quilt -- simply try separating your blocks with sashing and cornerstones. If you prefer, omit the cornerstones and use plain sashing strips instead.
Separating quilt blocks with sashing is a helpful technique to use when the patchwork in adjacent blocks doesn't meet up in a symmetrical way after the blocks are sewn together, something that can happen even if quilt blocks are the same size.
Use 8" Blocks in a Quilters' Block Exchange
Quilters often choose 8" square quilt blocks for block exchanges. Most quilters draw fabrics from their leftover stashes to make swap blocks and the patches in 8" blocks are usually small enough give quilters more variety in patch selection. A block exchange can be a fun event to plan with friends.
Patterns for 8" Quilt Blocks
- Aunt Addie's Album Quilt Block and Quilt Pattern
- Aunt Lee's Frame
- Butterfly Chain Quilt Blocks
- Christmas Stocking Quilt Block Pattern
- Country Nine Patch Quilt Block Pattern (8-1/2")
- Double Four Patch Quilt Block Pattern
- Double Four Patch Quilt Block Duo
- Endless Stairs Quilt Block Pattern (one of the easiest blocks you'll make, but with endless layout opportunities)
- Framed Four Patch Quilt Blocks
- King's Crown Quilt Block Pattern
- Mock Log Cabin Quilt Block Pattern (much like a log cabin, but super simple and fast to assemble)
- Mosaic Pinwheels Quilt Block Pattern (two sizes, practice your half square triangle techniques)
- Not Quite Bow Ties Quilt Block Pattern (not truly a bow tie block, but a fun and easy pattern)
- Oriental Attic Windows Quilt Block Pattern (7-1/2" inches)
- Pinwheel Quilt Block Pattern (many pinwheels are 8" square)
- Pinwheel in a Square Quilt Block Pattern (two sizes)
- Jewel Tone Pinwheels, Batik on Black (two sizes, shown in the illustration above)
- Sarah's Choice Quilt Block Patterns (multiple sizes with lots of half square triangle units)
- Tall Bug Jars Quilt Pattern (8" x 12" -- fill with cookies, candy, or anything else -- nice for I Spy quilts)
More Quilt and Quilt Block Patterns
The quilt blocks above all finish at 8" square (a few are a bit different) and represent just a few of the hundreds of quilt patterns you can find online. Here you'll find more free quilt patterns in the archives, sorted into galleries that provide thumbnail previews: