Want to whip up a simple, quick, pretty little flower that can be used to decorate just about any craft project? This small, flat-lying flower appliqué is perfect for a variety of different applications. It could adorn small projects such as hair clips, headbands, and gadget cozies, or you could crochet bunches of these flowers to stitch onto more substantial projects. You could also make a set of these and string them together on a crochet chain to create a beautiful garland for decorating your home; a smaller version would also work as a crochet necklace.
Crochet Skill Level
This pattern is suitable for advanced beginners. Anyone who has learned and practiced the basic crochet stitches enough to be comfortable with using them together should find this to be a quick and straightforward project. And beginners who aren't quite there yet with the basic stitches will find this instant-gratification crochet project a great way to practice.
Watch Now: How to Crochet a Simple Flower
You can try this project using any yarn or crochet thread. When crocheted with DK weight yarn and a US H/8 (5.0 mm) crochet hook the flower will measure approximately 2 inches. If it is your first time making this crochet flower, it is best to work with a smooth yarn in a light color to make it easy to see what you are doing.
Once you get used to the steps for making the flower, you can have a lot of fun working it up in more unique yarns such as novelty yarns, plastic bag yarn, or roving. The size of this crochet flower is going to depend upon the hook size used to make the item, which is going to depend on the yarn or thread. Use whatever hook size matches your yarn, information that is typically available on your yarn label.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- beg = beginning
- ch = chain
- ch-3 = 3 chain stitches
- dc = double crochet
- sc = single crochet
- sl st = slip stitch
- st = stitch
- [ ] = a set of instructions within the pattern that should be repeated
The pattern instructions tell you to crochet into the ring. If you have difficulty finding the center of the ring, carefully roll your finger around the chain. Your hands will feel the gap even if your eyes don't spot it at first. Work your stitches into this space.
Equipment / Tools
- US H/8 (5.0 mm) crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
- Small amount of DK wt yarn
Start With a Ring
Ch 6. Join with a sl st to form a ring.
Single Crochet A Round
Work 12 sc sts into the ring. Join the work to the beg of the round with a sl st.
*Ch 3, work 2 dc sts in the sc st at the base of the ch-3, ch 3, sl st in same sc st, [sl st in next st] twice; rep from * six times, for a total of six flower petals.
Ways to Use the Crochet Flower
This crochet flower pattern can be used in so many different ways:
- Adhere it to a blank card for a personal touch to your handwritten message.
- Add the crochet flower to gift wrapping or use it as part of a gift tag.
- Decorate a pair of old jeans with a few of these flowers along one leg (or a single flower on the pocket).
- Use multi-stranded crochet and a large hook to make a huge version of this flower to hang on your front door for decoration.
- Join a row of these crochet flowers together to create a unique friendship bracelet for someone you love. Or put a single flower on each of two hooks to make earrings.