01 of 05
Easy Traditional Origami Turtle Instructions
Learn how to make a cute little origami turtle or tortoise - this is officially Kirigami, which has one cut whilst making it. Quick and easy to make!
Kirigami is described as 'a variation of origami that includes cutting of the paper' to reach its end result. However, if you were to search Kirigami in google images, you would instead find a lot of pop up cards and other intricate paper creations.
In traditional origami, there are a number of well-known models where cutting is an integral part of making the origami and was not seen as taboo.
So, for this origami turtle, you will need one sheet of square paper and some scissors.Continue to 2 of 5 below.
02 of 05
Easy Origami Turtle Instructions - Step 1
1. Start white side up if you have one.
2. Fold the paper in half diagonally so that you have a pyramid shape as shown.
3. Fold the bottom right corner up to the middle point.
4. Do the same on the left side.Continue to 3 of 5 below.
03 of 05
Easy Origami Turtle Instructions - Step 2
5. Fold the top of the right flap down to the bottom.
6. Fold the top left flap down as well.
7. Fold the bottom right flap out to the right.
8. Repeat on the left side.Continue to 4 of 5 below.
04 of 05
Easy Origami Turtle Instructions - Step 3
9. Get some scissors and cut the FRONT LAYER, from the bottom point to the very center.
10. You should now be able to move the flaps as shown.
11. Fold the bottom flaps to match the ones at the top.
12. Fold the left and the right points inwards, not all the way to the middle.
You may need to use a bit of glue to make these flaps stay in place.Continue to 5 of 5 below.
05 of 05
Easy Origami Turtle Instructions - Step 4
13. Fold the top point down.
14. Fold that flap back up, leaving a little gap, this is called a pleat fold.
15. Turn the turtle over, you can fold him in half a bit for a more 3D look. Even add some eyes!
If you are making a tortoise, fold the points over for a more rounded shell, legs, and head.
We hope you enjoyed this 'Kirigami' origami turtle!
For more tutorials and also video tutorials, check out the youtube channel called Paper Kawaii, also check out some of the websites below if you like.