Easy Traditional Origami Turtle Instructions
Learn how to make a cute little origami turtle or tortoise. The technique is officially Kirigami, which involves one cut during the process.
Kirigami is described as a variation of origami that includes cutting the paper with scissors to reach the result. However, if you search Kirigami online, you may instead find a lot of pop-up cards and other intricate paper creations.
In traditional origami, there are several well-known models where cutting is an integral part of making the origami. If you are looking for some more origami animals to make, check out the origami jumping frog, a traditional origami peace dove, and the easy origami fox.
What You'll Need
Equipment / Tools
- Craft glue (optional)
- Marker (optional)
- 1 Square piece of paper, any size (minimum 5 inch by 5 inch for ease)
Begin to Fold the Body
- If your paper is the same color on both sides, it doesn't matter which side you start your folds. If your paper has a white side, start with that side up.
- Fold the paper in half diagonally so that you have a triangular shape as shown.
- Fold the bottom right corner up to the middle point.
- Do the same on the left side.
Continue Folding the Body
- Fold the top of the right flap down to the bottom.
- Fold the top left flap down as well.
- Fold about one third of the bottom right flap out to the right.
- Repeat on the left side.
Cut Your Design
- With scissors, cut the top front layer that has not been folded. Cut from the bottom point to the very center.
- You should now be able to move the layers of flaps as shown.
- Fold the top layer of bottom flaps to match the ones you have already folded by following mini step number 3 above.
- Fold the left and the right points inwards, not all the way to the middle.
Folding the Head
- Fold down the top points that you cut.
- To form the head, fold those flaps back up, leaving a little gap. (This is called a pleat fold.)
- Turn the turtle over to further shape the body. For example, fold it in half a bit for a more three-dimensional look and add eyes with a marker for a fun touch.