Rectangle Origami Box Instructions
Learn how to make a useful rectangular origami box from an A4 or letter-sized sheet of paper. This makes a great last-minute gift box solution.
In the photo, you can see it is great for storing pens and pencils on a desk, or stationery items such as rubber, sharpeners, and even small calculators. There are also a few to organize makeup inside drawers, and you can make larger ones from A3- or A2-sized sheets of paper, which make great drawer organizers for kids' clothes.
This simple origami box takes only a few minutes to fold and requires very few origami tools.
Usually, origami starts with a square sheet, this time it will be rectangular.
You can start with any size of the rectangle. If you use a longer rectangle, the box will end up less rectangular.
If you are looking for a fancier style of origami box, try the Star Dish, or for more of a challenge, the Cake Box—for intermediate to advanced folders!
Begin the Fold
- Start white side up and the paper in landscape position.
- Fold the paper in half to the left.
- Fold the left and right edges to the central fold.
Fold the Paper in Thirds
- Flip the paper over, left to right.
- Fold the right edge to the central fold, letting the flap underneath flip out to the right.
- Neatly fold it to the center. You can see the folds you should have.
- Repeat on the left side.
Fold the Flap to the Vertical Fold
- Fold the right flap over to the left.
- Fold the flap to the vertical fold that is indicated.
- Unfold the last step.
Begin to Form the Box
- Fold the top right and bottom right corners inward.
- Fold the top left and bottom left corners of the front flap, inwards. Fold the left side of the flap over to the right.
- Again, fold the flap over to the right, sandwiching the previous flap.
Complete the Origami Box
- Repeat on the left.
- Open out the left and right sides.
- Push the pointed corners inward.
- To straighten out the edges, fold along the bottom edges.
- Pinch the corners to make the box more squared.
That's it. You should now have a simple origami box that is useful for lots of different things.