Make Easy Patchwork Heart Quilt Blocks
This easy patchwork heart quilt block pattern finishes as a six-inch square. Each heart is assembled using a quick piecing technique that makes sewing a breeze.
Each side of the heart quilt block is sewn separately, and then two mirror-image sides are joined vertically to complete the block. Make as many individual blocks as needed for a project. You can use a quilt pattern that separates heart blocks with sashing and cornerstones.
Choose Fabrics for the Patchwork Hearts
Choose two focal fabrics for each heart. Try two dark colors that are similar in color value. Choose a cream-colored fabric or any neutral fabric for the background. Tone-on-tone fabrics are a good background choice for this design.
Cutting for One Heart Quilt Block
- Cut two 3 1/2" x 6 1/2" rectangles from dark fabrics of similar value.
- Cut four 2" x 2" cream squares; draw a diagonal line from one corner to the opposite corner on the reverse of each.
- Cut two 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" cream squares; draw a diagonal line as you did on smaller squares.
Sew a Patchwork Heart Quilt Block
Use the illustrations as a guide to assembly.
- Choose the 3 1/2" x 6 1/2" rectangle you would like to use on the left side of your heart quilt block.
- Align a 2" x 2" cream square right-side-down in the upper left corner of the rectangle with the marked line oriented as shown. Sew a seam on the marked line.
- Press to set the seam.
- Trim away the excess fabric about 1/4" past the seam. Flip the cream triangle right-side-up and press. Pressing open works nicely, but you can press to one side if you prefer.
- Sew a square to the right upper side of the rectangle, taking care to position the marked line as shown. Sew on the marked line, and trim excess fabric tips as before.
- For best results, press the seam open or press it in the opposite direction as you pressed the seam on the left half of the block.
- Use the same method to sew a 3 1/2" square to the bottom of the left-side rectangle, taking care to position its marked line as shown. Trim the excess fabric, and press open or to one side.
- Make the right half of the heart quilt block using the same method, with one difference—the seam that attaches the 3 1/2" square should be a mirror image of the seam on the left side.
- After trimming, press the seam allowance open or in the opposite direction as you pressed in the left block half.
- Sew the two heart block halves together vertically to complete the block.
- Press. The heart quilt block should measure 6 1/2" x 6 1/2."
Chain piece to speed up assembly if you make several quilt blocks at the same time.
Make a Patchwork Hearts Quilt
Use your heart quilt blocks to make a quilt that finishes at about 44" x 44."
To make scrap quilts, use the yardage suggestions as a guide, but pay more attention to the number of patches required if you're drawing from a fabric stash.
Make a test block before you cut all of your fabrics.
Red Fabrics and Pink Fabrics
Use 1 yard if making hearts from a single fabric or 5/8 yard of pinks and 5/8 yard of reds if using a scrappy assortment.
- Cut fifty 3 1/2" x 6 1/2" rectangles.
Use 7/8 yards.
- Cut five 2" wide strips from selvage to selvage. Cut (100) 2" x 2" squares from the strips.
- Cut five 3 1/2" strips from selvage to selvage. Cut (50) 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" squares from strips.
- 1/3 yard
- Cut six 1 1/2" wide strips from selvage to selvage. Cut (40) 1 1/2" x 6 1/2" bars from the strips
- Cut one 1 1/2" wide strip from selvage to selvage. Cut (16) 1 1/2" squares from the strip
- Inner: 1/4 yard
- Outer: 5/8 yard
- Binding: 1/2 yard
- Quilt backing: Enough to create a 50" x 50" square
Assemble the Patchwork Hearts Quilt
- Use our instructions to make 25 patchwork heart quilt blocks.
- If your quilt is scrappy, arrange the blocks on a design wall or other flat surface, placing them in five rows, each containing five blocks. Move blocks around until you are happy with the layout.
- Sew the blocks in each row together, separating them with 1 1/2" x 6 1/2" vertical sashing strips. Press seam allowances towards the strips.
- Assemble all rows.
- Sew the horizontal sashing strips and cornerstones together into four rows. Begin each row with a 1 1/2" x 6 1/2" strip and sew a 1 1/2" square to its right end. Repeat, alternating four more long strips and three more squares, ending with a long strip. Press seam allowances towards the long strips.
Sew Borders to the Heart Quilt
Sew butted borders to the quilt. Use 1 1/2" wide strips of fabric for the inner border. Repeat to sew an outer border with 4 1/2" wide strips.