01 of 04
Easy Origami Star Tutorial
Sometimes you need to make a quick paper star, so why not use some origami techniques to get a perfect star, using one sheet of square paper.
This simple origami star is a perfect activity to teach kids, as you can also teach them how to make a pentagon using this method.
These origami stars have a three-dimensional look to them. You can hang these up as decorations, especially at Christmas time. They would make great Christmas tree decorations.
You can get different shaped stars with this method too, by making changes to the cut at the end.Continue to 2 of 4 below.
02 of 04
First of all, get some square paper, it is recommended to start with paper that is at least 15 x 15 cm. If you'd like your paper star to look great on both sides, try to find some paper with color on both sides.
Tip: For best results, remember to make your creases as neat as possible!
1. Starting with your paper white side up, fold the bottom edge up to the top edge.
2. Next, bring the bottom left corner up and to the right, aligning the top edges, make a small mark in the center of where the fold would be if you creased it fully.
3. Do the same with the top layer of the top left corner, bring it down to the right, marking just the center.
4. You can see an X in the center of the left side of the paper. Fold the bottom right corner to the center of that X and crease.Continue to 3 of 4 below.
03 of 04
5. Fold the left of the top section to align with the right edge.
6. Next fold the bottom left edge up and to the right, aligning it to the left edge of the right section.
7. Now make a mountain fold, folding the left section behind along the edge of the right section.Continue to 4 of 4 below.
04 of 04
8. Get your scissors and cut along the dotted line.
(To make a pentagon instead, cut along the top of the frontmost flap.)
9. Open out the paper.
10. To make the star more three-dimensional, fold the points together, making the folds in between valley folds and then fold along the points of the star mountain folds.
You can make your origami star more pointy by refolding it and making the cut at a sharper angle. Or make the star more bulky by cutting at a less sloping angle.
To make a star with a hollow center, make a second cut, along the same angle, further down and open out, you will get 2 stars!
For some more origami stars, check out the Origami Lucky Stars Tutorial.